Looking for car horn sound in Roland DS61

Reaction score
I've hunted through pretty much all the onboard patches in my DS61 and I haven't come across a car horn sound. It's not a big deal, but my band would like to do Summer in the City, and it has that lovely traffic noise (and jackhammer!) in the bridge. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Judy

Reaction score
Thanks, Gary -- I haven't actually done that before, just been using the keyboard in performance mode. I was hoping that I could just split the keyboard right near the top and assign the two top notes to the car horn. Any idea if that would be possible if I download the .wav file?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You should be able to assign a couple of pads to trigger the samples. No need to keymap them.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Gosh, I'm disappointed! The Juno-DS is GM-compatible, so I looked at the patches in the GM bank. There's no car horn? GM has a car engine sound, a car stopping sound, a car crashing sound, but no car horn! I'm thinking that's why that car crashed. :(

Reaction score
Gosh, I'm disappointed! The Juno-DS is GM-compatible, so I looked at the patches in the GM bank. There's no car horn? GM has a car engine sound, a car stopping sound, a car crashing sound, but no car horn! I'm thinking that's why that car crashed. :(
Haha! I thought the same thing when I saw those car items in the GM list..."Well, this whole thing could have been prevented!"

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually you could scan thru the Brass instruments and maybe find something that sounds like a car horn.

Accordion on steroids with reverb maybe? :D :D :D

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Now we know the real reason why Roland came up with their GS extension to General MIDI, and Yamaha came up with their XG extension-- so they could add a car horn sound to their keyboards! ;)

Reaction score
Or you could go out to your car lean on the horn and record the sound on your mobile then play it back from there via an onstage mike.

Or a visit to the scrapyard for a car horn and wire it up to a 12v battery via a switch, again job done.

Make an on stage drama out of sounding the horn and there is always Tool Station where you could hire a real jackhammer

Reaction score
Actually you could scan thru the Brass instruments and maybe find something that sounds like a car horn.

Accordion on steroids with reverb maybe? :D :D :D

Gary ;)
I took your original advice and found a car horn sound that's pretty good. You mentioned assigning it to a pad -- as I mentioned, I've never used anything except what's already in the keyboard, so I did some homework last night (after a year!). Today I assigned it as an audio WAV file, and presto! Thanks so much for the suggestion. Now to find a jackhammer...
Or you could go out to your car lean on the horn and record the sound on your mobile then play it back from there via an onstage mike.

Or a visit to the scrapyard for a car horn and wire it up to a 12v battery via a switch, again job done.

Make an on stage drama out of sounding the horn and there is always Tool Station where you could hire a real jackhammer

Reaction score
Well, thanks to all of you, I have a nice little array of sound effects at my fingertips, including the car horn, a bit of traffic noise, and a pretty darn good jackhammer -- all of which follow quickly on one another at about the 1:12 mark in the song. But best of all, NOW I KNOW HOW TO DO IT! So thanks, guys, for your suggestions. (Well, except maybe the jackhammer, Biggles...;))

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Congrats on figuring it out. That's really the primary purpose of the pads. Assigning samples.

Personally I still haven't really made use of the step sequencer so far either.

I have to sit down with the manual and do some homework myself :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
One final (maybe) question...am I correct in assuming that the flash drive with the WAV audio files on it has to be inserted for this magic to take place?
Congrats on figuring it out. That's really the primary purpose of the pads. Assigning samples.

Personally I still haven't really made use of the step sequencer so far either.

I have to sit down with the manual and do some homework myself :p

Gary ;)
That makes me feel better!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
As far as I know, once you've loaded a sample into the DS there is no longer any need for the flash drive unless you want to load different samples on the fly.

The sample memory is non volatile. A very cool feature. ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That was definitely the case for a patch-type sample. I was able to assign a number to it and retrieved it no problem. But for these sound effects that I'm trying to operate from the pads, I'm loading them in as Audio, and they seem to disappear when I turn the keyboard off. No big deal, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ah yes. I seem to recall now that the pads are used for playing audio files like WAV or MP3 backing tracks so you may be on to something there.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question