Looking for line-level audio device to run between DGX-530 and laptop

Reaction score
Hello.

I am trying to run the audio output from my DGX-530 into my laptop (where I want to record it using Mixcraft). The instruction manual for the keyboard, however, only tells how me how to hook up with a computer when I am transmitting midi info. I just want to transfer just the audio output from the keyboard.

I need suggestions, please, on what "go between" device (or line-level audio device, I believe they call it) I need in order to run good quality audio from the audio output on my keyboard and into the RCA keyboard input of my laptop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

Reaction score
Try this connector first:

http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-STEREO-P...qid=1367260233&sr=8-2&keywords=1/4+trs+to+RCA

plugging the 1/4" into the phone/output jack of the keyboard. Make sure the volume is completely down on the keyboard and laptop before plugging anything in. SLOWLY turn the volume up on the keyboard until the desired input level is reached on the laptop.

In the event that doesn't work and your computer supports an 1/8" stereo input (aka TRS input) on its soundcard:
  • Purchase an 1/4" TRS male to 1/8" TRS Male jack: http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMS1
  • turn all volumes down (both the keyboard and laptop), then plug in above connector to keyboard and the computer's soundcard
  • SLOWLY turn up the volume on the keyboard until an acceptable recording input level is obtained.

Reaction score
Thanks again for the info, but I have one follow-up question: I believe I have only the 1/8" input for my laptop -- and I already have a cord that connects keyboard to computer -- in the sense at least that the cords fit their respective plugs -- but the input to Mixcraft is nothing but loud distortion. Does this mean I have the wrong kind of cord, even though the plugs fit, or is this a problem with my sound card or the settings in Mixcraft?

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
When I read this on your initial posting " ..output on my keyboard and into the RCA keyboard input of my laptop.." I knew there was something wrong; I've never seen RCA inputs on a laptop, that is why I mentioned the 1/4" to 1/8" plug, figuring what you really had was an 1/8" input on your soundcard. I also checked the DGX-530 keyboard configuration and noticed it only had a headphone jack out. The output of that jack is probably too hot of a signal for the input of your soundcard to handle. If you have a mixer hanging around, try running the output of the keyboard into a mixer first, then running the mixer output to the sound card's input. See if that makes a difference. Hopefully that configuration will step down the voltage output that is most likely causing your distortion

Reaction score
I guess I'll need to buy a mixer, if you have any recommendations.

I do have a TASCAM mixer, but when I run the keyboard input through that the sounds comes out echoed. I'm also confused by the fact that there are multiple input and output options, each requiring its own type of cord. Not sure which input(s) or output(s) I should use -- but nothing I've tried yet seems to get the sound right.

Reaction score
Before you 'invest' in a mixer I would first see if you can borrow one from someone to try the connections as an experiment. No sense in purchasing a mixer only to find out it didn't solve your issue. Borrow one first, if the concept works and you get a non-distorted signal, then invest in a cheap mixer. Even a cheap mixer can end up costing you $50.

The TASCAM mixer shouldn't echo, you have something connected incorrectly. Which model TASCAM do you have that I can look up the owners manual online and see what might be causing the issue. Also, a brief explanation as to how you setup the connections from the keyboard to the TASCAM and then from the TASCAM to the computer would help. Also, the TASCAM probably has headphone outs on it; see if you hear the echo coming out of the headphone jack of the TASCAM., My guess is the echo is coming from 'listening' to the output from the laptop, i.e. you have the speaker output up on the laptop. You may have to turn the output (speakers) off on the laptop. So I'm thinking the TASCAM, if connected properly, should do the trick. Does the TASCAM have an echo effect that you have engaged?

The Y_man

Reaction score
I guess I'll need to buy a mixer, if you have any recommendations.

I do have a TASCAM mixer, but when I run the keyboard input through that the sounds comes out echoed. I'm also confused by the fact that there are multiple input and output options, each requiring its own type of cord. Not sure which input(s) or output(s) I should use -- but nothing I've tried yet seems to get the sound right.

Great advise from D/Dave above.
What model tascam is it?

The Y-man

Wes

Reaction score
The output of the DGX-530 should be okay with the volume knob set at 9 o'clock or so for a consumer device line-in, like a computer. I use 12 to 3 o'clock regularly on my DGX-620 going into pro-audio gear. Yamaha designs these jacks to work as either a line out OR headphone out. Don't ask me how, but it definitely works.

I bet your laptop's 1/8" jack is set up as a microphone input, not a line in. Sometimes you need to use a different jack, sometimes you need to tweak a software setting to get a proper line in.

Wes

Ask a Question