Looking for Logic Environmental setting for Yamaha DGX-640

Reaction score
I want to hook up my DGX-640 to Logic Express so as to play MIDI files using the Yamaha's own sound (including the XG sounds) rather than the GM sounds. To do this I need a map of the Banked sounds to include in Logics Environment settings.
To save on a lot of time typing I wondered if someone had already done this, and would send me a copy.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea behind XG is that the same banks work on all XG keyboards? If so, a generic XG map should work. (Although you won't get the special non-XG sounds.)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not sure what format Logic Express uses for its instrument definition files, but if we can't find one already made for the DGX-640, it might be possible to use or modify one for a similar Yamaha model.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
After browsing a bit for information about patch lists for Logic Express, I have a headache! :) From what I've read, it sounds like Apple has made the process more difficult than it needs to be. Also, the version of Logic Express (or Logic Pro) is apparently a factor, so it would help to know which version you're running before going further.

I don't know if you can find where the existing Logic Express patch list files are stored on your computer, but if you can find them, it might be possible to copy one of them to a new filename, then open the new file in a text editor so you can (1) see what format it uses and (2) edit it as needed so it contains the voices for the DGX-640. I'm not sure if there's any special procedure you'd need to use to import the new patch list into your version of Logic Express.

Ask a Question