Looking for Main Controller/Workstation

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Candidates so far include Kawai MP7SE, Korg Nautilus 88, Korg Krome EX 8, Yamaha MODX8, Roland RD 88 or possibly a used Roland Fantom 8 I might be able to pick up for $3500 CDN.

Price Range is $2000 to $4000 CDN. Saving money is nice but not if I end up with an unplayable board.

I'm finally selling off my Juno DS88 and upgrading the main living room workstation.

Kurzweil is off the table, since they no longer have a distributor in Canada. The PC4 is unobtanium.

Being realistic about my options these are what's available.

Where do I find my best bang for the buck out of these options.

I do require good tweakability of sounds, multi zone support and a solid variety of sounds including synths and pads. Pinaos are not my main priority and every bloody review spends half an hour on the pianos and skims over other features and drawbacks. I DO however, like a good solid hammer action board. MIDI class compliance is also a dealbreaker.

Also important is sturdy build quality.

The Fantom 8 looks like the best of the lot, but it weighs in at over 60 lbs and is 17 inches deep. It's a bloody monster. I'd have to buy a new gig bag just to get it home. I'm really not sure if I want something that huge.

OK guys, you've helped hundreds of people with a similar dilemma, so I'd really like to hear your thoughts on which way to turn.

Saving money is always nice but I'd really like to skip any trace of buyers' remorse on this one.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Is this strictly for home/studio use or might you be gigging with it?

In addition to the internal sounds, is your interest in integrating external sounds via MIDI (laptop/iPad/module) significant or minimal?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've been scrambling all day to find a decent board and I've settled on another Kurzweil PC3K8 with ribbon and bag for $2800 CDN.

This works out well for me since I won't have to deal with learning a new OS and these things make Kickass Controllers.

The Fantom guy tried to jack up the price in the middle of the negotiation and I really don't need a 65 lb behemoth if the truth be known.

And yes it's for studio use and no I don't screw around a lot wirth VSTs. Too unstable in Linux.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Nope! Congratulate me!!! This weekend I become the proud father of TWINS!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deal is all but done.

Nice guy selling it, longhair type in the club district. :cool:

Official story is "never been gigged, home studio use only"

And I go out for a lookee this coming weekend and a proper test drive. ;)

And I'm bringing along a BIIIIG friend in case anything goes south. o_O

"to lug the monster to and from the car" :)

And hopefully by next monday the newborn will be hooked up and rarin to go.

All I have to do is clone the new machine from the other one and voila!!! It's Configured and Integrated into both studios simultaneously...

!!!!!******BBBOOOOOOSHHHHHH****!!!!!!!

My mind is blown!!!

And let's face it. You won't find a better 88 key master controller on this planet than a PC3K8!!! :eek:

Gary :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One caveat.

The new Kurz comes without a Kore64 expansion ROM.

Now I have to find someone who'll sell me one.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'll update the pics and flowcharts in a couple of weeks.

Right now I'm busier than a one legged ditch digger coordinating all this.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Great job Gary.

Expansion Card, no problem.

£700 with personal courier transportation from Manchester to Totonto, although it would then cost you extra for meals and beer at your place for a couple of days.

Courier would be fully double Covid jabbed with booster, but irritable and hung over after the flight across the pond but a few beers would rectify the mind state.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check back with your supervisor and get back to me if this is doable.

Really all I need is a number and your email address to get the ball rolling.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm already committed to buying the PC3K8.

And it makes everything so much easier for me.

I can clone all the settings, voices and configurations between the two machines very easily.

No new learning curve to deal with :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You should add the Roland RD-2000 to your list, it has a great keybed and so much control of internal and external sources.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
People, People, I'm not made of money.

I picked up the PC3K8 for far less than any of these other options would cost me.

And when I make a commitment to buy, I STICK TO IT!!!! My word means something to me.

Thanks,

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, from experience I can tell you that there is no better controller on the market than a PC3K8.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The PC for and the k2700 does everything that thing does

I tell everybody if it's possible take a trip to Fort Wayne Indiana. Sweetwater Sound. you won't regret it. They have every keyboard in the world there at that store that's where I purchased. I can try every keyboard out instead of taking it to chance or opinion.

And Kurzweil has dropped GM support from the PC4 and probably the K2700 as well.

As for tripping off to Indiana?

In a pandemic?

While American infections are topping a MILLION A DAY?

Thanks, but no thanks. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I took a trip there mid-year last year no problem I wore my mask so did everybody else in the store it's a huge campus nothing like you've ever seen before 1500 sales people to help you
When I first got my keyboard I got great support from Kurzweil. Then it started slipping I could only assume that Jean was no longer there. Dave Weiser was a programmer from Kurzweil he's the go-to person for Kurzweil. He helped me immensely learning my keyboard along with Valentine from Austria and another Mojove from India. Great Support!! Unparalleled. Check this website out

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No, it's just that Americans have a certain sense of entitlement and right now I'm too busy to repeat a 3 page thread I'm going thru elsewhere.

Leave it at certain corporate and customs regulations that make the entire process messy, expensive and not worthwhile.

Reaction score
No, it's just that Americans have a certain sense of entitlement and right now I'm too busy to repeat a 3 page thread I'm going thru elsewhere.

Leave it at certain corporate and customs regulations that make the entire process messy, expensive and not worthwhile.

It is soryt of good to see that outside the USA we can now buy certain goods far cheaper than our American Cousins can after years of them having low cost everything.

Korg Nautilus 61 in the UK £1575 or $2140 US

Same at Sweetwater $2199

Yamaha Genos 76 £3999 or $5434 US

Same at Sweetwater $5999

Ask a Question