Looking for some help in clarifying for purchase of a New Keyboard

Reaction score
Hello All - I am Vineet from India, a singer and a Keyboardist. I owned a Yamaha Portable keybaord, and a Roland E-09 in the past. Sold my Roland about few months back to upgrade.

I have been watching lot of demos and reviews of different keyboards from Yamaha, Roland and Korg but was not able to finalize on anyone yet.

Here are few things:
1. Primary reason of selling E-09 was to upgrade my board.
2. Few boards which comes in my Budget are PSR 670,770 Roland XPS10, XPS30 and Korg Kross 61

But I am unable to finalize on anyone of them.

I normally play Piano style at home when I am on the board, also hve a band so I do some live shows as well and also sometimes use it for Devotional Live Programmes. Though I am a singer/composer, never recorded anything so far.

Please help me decide to choose which one. I understand there are different variety of keyboards, arrangers, Synthesizer and workstation. I did my homework but jus need some quick help to finalize on which one to Buy.

Thank you in advance!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Looking at the keyboards you've selected, it looks like you haven't really decided what you want to do with your keyboard. Four of the keyboards appear to be arrangers (the Yamahas and the two Rolands), while one appears to be a workstation (the Korg).

If you're looking at arrangers, I'd look at the Yamahas before the two Rolands. Basically, the Yamahas have a great deal of after market support, with a lot of free rhythms available. You can also add sounds to the Yamahas.

I'm not at all sure what the Rolands offer. There's discussion on the Roland site about rhythm patterns, but I can't tell if you can replace them with better rhythms. There's no sequencer mentioned on either one. The XPS 30 does appear to support adding sounds.

The Korg has a full blown sequencer on board, but nothing about rhythms. You'd need to program any drum parts beat by beat. In a band situation, you've got someone who actually knows how to play real drums, so that's not important.

Personally, I'd go one of two ways. If you need arranger functionality, I'd get the Yamaha PSR 770. (Generally, with Yamaha the bigger the number the better the keyboard.) Instead, if you were looking for workstation functionality, I'd get the Korg Kross 88. (But I'm a piano player by inclination, so you may be fine with the 61.)

This assumes that the difference in cost of the different keyboards didn't matter to you all that much. If the difference in cost is important, then you may want the PSR-670 instead.

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks for your prompt response!

Yamaha are definitely Arrangers, but the Roland are Expandable Synthesizers and those models XPS 10 and XPS 30 are available and made for Asia, specially suits for Indian Instruments. As far my research goes, we can add tones and rythyms to the Rolands.

Honestly, the keyboards I had earlier, I never used the Rythyms so much and I don't think I will be interested to program the Rhtyhm as mostly I play Live with a Guitar/Drums. So I was planning to Rule out a Workstation and honestly, I believe for people like me Workstation is a different league.

I'd better stick to Arranger/Syth and I am going to check out both Yamaha Arrangers and Roland XPS30.

I was unable to find what is User Bank Capacity on the Yamaha Arrangers, I had used Roland E-09 which was user friendly and I could store upto 100 Tones.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think the Yamaha PSR-S670 and PSR-S770 may have "unlimited" Registrations if you store them on USB thumb drives. You can save eight (8) Registrations in a single bank, but you can have an unlimited number of banks (I think).

As Fred said, the PSR-S770 would be a better buy than the PSR-S670, although more expensive. This is because it has more RAM for loading expansion voices.

Although I have no experience with either model, I've read that some owners of the PSR-S and Tyros models find the Music Finder database to be more useful than the Registration memories-- presumably because you can add your own entries into the database, like a Registration, but with the added benefit that you can name the entry after a song.

Reaction score
Thank you Sir! I just had a demo of 670, will be checking 770 tomorrow. There is a price difference of 20K ! So jus need to think of which one would be better.

Reaction score
I played both PSR S 670 and Roland XPS 30, not sure but I liked Roland maybe because I am inclined to Roland and know how to use it rather than Yamaha as I felt it's a bit complicated and need to learn to use the Yamaha.

Will be checking out PSR S and will finalize on one soon!

Any suggestions and advises are welcome!!

Ask a Question