looking for teaching app that uses Line In (iOS/macOS)

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a Yamaha YPG-635 and am looking for a way to learn to play - I have some experience in my distant past but I'm really a beginner at this point. Since my keyboard doesn't do MIDI I've looked at a few apps that work with acoustic pianos. So far everything I've seen wants to use the microphone but I would really prefer to use a Line-In so I can play through headphones and not bug the rest of the family. Are there any teaching apps you know of that can be configured this way?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Welcome.

Yes there are learning Apps.

But they do tend to listen to the notes played and pause if you play a wrong note.

Apps like Simply Piano or Flowkey or Skroove come to mind.

A method of connecting is to use an iPad connected via an Apple Camera Adaptor via USB to a keyboard.

You can then play wearing headphones and the piano audio is picked up by the App over the USB connection.

New Yamaha piano keyboards come with a free three months trial of Flowkey and Yamaha digital pianos like their P125/121 work in the manner described, I know because I tried out Flowkey when I bought my P121 last January and connected my iPad in the manner described.

I do not know of Apps where Line In can be used.

Good luck

Reaction score
Welcome.

Yes there are learning Apps.

But they do tend to listen to the notes played and pause if you play a wrong note.

Apps like Simply Piano or Flowkey or Skroove come to mind.

A method of connecting is to use an iPad connected via an Apple Camera Adaptor via USB to a keyboard.

You can then play wearing headphones and the piano audio is picked up by the App over the USB connection.

New Yamaha piano keyboards come with a free three months trial of Flowkey and Yamaha digital pianos like their P125/121 work in the manner described, I know because I tried out Flowkey when I bought my P121 last January and connected my iPad in the manner described.

I do not know of Apps where Line In can be used.

Good luck
Unfortunately the 635 doesn't send audio or MIDI over USB; it's used for data transfer only as best I can figure out. Hoping there's something out there that'll work over line in. I have a MIDI keyboard but it feels a lot less natural than the 635.

Ask a Question