Looking for weighted keys on the cheap (for gigs)

Reaction score
For around $400 or so dollars I want something that has fully weighted keys as comparable as possible to my Yamaha Motif XS8. The fact of the matter is that I love the way that it feels, but I'm sick and tired of hauling this thing around lol.

Here are the 2 keyboards that I'm looking at:

Kurzweill PC-88
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331020496805?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Ensoniq MR76
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emu-Ensoniq...5934256?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item51b1d5de30

Never had a Kurzweil, but I've heard the ravings from their owners so I'm fairly confident that it is a decent machine. I personally had an opportunity to try out an Ensoniq several years ago at a music shop. I remember how impressed I was with it's key action and realistic sounds for keyboard made in the 90's.

But I kind of lean toward the Kurzweil only because it's newer and parts and replacement might be easier to find.

Mainly I'm mostly looking for decent key action on a keyboard that doesn't weigh a ton (or 100lbs in a case). I just can't deal with unweighted keys anymore.

Reaction score
If you are currently using an XS8 I would highly doubt that you would be happy with either the PC88 or the MR76. The technology is dated and so are the samples used to produce the sound. You would get less weight and equally less sound quality. The Casio Privia mentioned by Happyrat is probably your best bet along with a Motif rack, this way you still have the sound quality of a Motif driven via MIDI by a lightweight weighted controller. You would then have the best of both worlds.

Reaction score
If you are currently using an XS8 I would highly doubt that you would be happy with either the PC88 or the MR76. The technology is dated and so are the samples used to produce the sound. You would get less weight and equally less sound quality. The Casio Privia mentioned by Happyrat is probably your best bet along with a Motif rack, this way you still have the sound quality of a Motif driven via MIDI by a lightweight weighted controller. You would then have the best of both worlds.

I'm pretty sure my local music shop has the Casio Privia line, so I might have to look at it while I sell my Fantom X7. After several years of playing, I've decided that I can no longer stand unweighted keys. I've also been dabbling in some VSTs lately so this new keyboard will most likely double as a MIDI controller.
And yeah, in all likelihood, I will invest in a Motif Rack at some point.

Ask a Question