Looking to Buy a Cheap Better Keyboard

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping you guys could help me find a better keyboard than the one I have now, but in a cheap price(usually i see 800 dollars). I don't need that great of a keyboard right now since I kind just started but I need help.

I have a Yamaha Portatone PSR-78, my mom had it for herself when i was 5 but i picked it up around 4-5 months ago. I'm looking for a better keyboard, but anywhere from the price range of $0 - $500, if possible or close it that range.

Thanks!

Reaction score
What do you want to do with your keyboard? Do you want to have many sounds, or mainly a Piano sound? Do you want weighted or lightweighted keys?

If you want a lightweighted keyboard with a lot of sounds, I would recommend the Yamaha DGX-220 (I'm not really an expert when it comes to choosing keyboards, but I own this one, and think it might work great for begginers. It has built in speakers as well, so you don't need to buy any separate speakers)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_dgx220.htm

If you want fewer sounds, but with better quality, and weighted keys, then you're probably looking for a Stage Piano. This one was the cheapest I could find that still look rather serious.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_prokeys_88_sx.htm

That one has no built-in speakers, though... So you will need to have speakers for it, or a headset.
I found another one too, that might be of interest:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_prokeys_88.htm

That one is slightly more expensive, but gives you more opportunities with more sounds, splitting/layering funtionality, a few more effects, a screen so that you can see what you're doing, and a few sliders. No built-in speakers on this one either, though.

I hope that helped :)

Reaction score
Great!

In the future I'll be buying myself alot of stuff, but right now I'm looking for just one thing to upgrade with.

Thanks alot! I am looking at the Yamaha DGX-220 right now

Reaction score
Upgrading is tough if you aren't familiar with the keyboard world.

Try and look at some of the online music stores and read up on all the keyboards and what they have to offer. Don't sell yourself short and say, "that has too many options for what I need," as your needs will change and there are NEVER enough options.

After you find that dream keyboard, look around on ebay. If they are too much - then you can start downgrading on your decisions.

When I first started, I thought six outputs and 16 tracks was enough for anything. Now I want a minimum of 10 outputs per keyboard and at least 32 tracks per keyboard (that's just for starters). I can easily top 100 tracks in a song but, I have learned to be inventive and make the existing tracks I have now work (I have two keyboards with 16 tracks a piece with 6 outs each).

However, to play devils advocate with myself, if you do buy a cheap keyboard, you can always use that as a MIDI controller if you upgrade to bigger keyboards with more stuff. The first thing to do is - research!! I say this because, if I or anyone else recommends something and you haven't researched, how will you feel if you could have got a better deal on a better keyboard? I myself would feel like I was cheated but I would have no one to blame but myself.

Ask a Question