Looking to buy a keyboard. I need help.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a new keyboard soon. I'd like a portable keyboard. (A digital piano that's made to look like an upright or grand is out of the question.) I practice at home on a grand piano and I'd like something with similar action. Most of the keyboards I try out have terrible action. I am well aware keyboards cannot emulate the action of a real piano, but something close would be nice. Obviously I am looking for a keyboard that is velocity sensitive with weighted keys.

I'm currently playing on an S08 Yamaha. I have enjoyed it quite a bit. Still, I think that most of the sounds on the keyboard are either cheesy or a complete waste. I am not looking to emulate a bass guitar, electric guitar, or drum kit. I despise the synth sound of the 80s. I would like a keyboard with piano sounds, some soft pad sounds, and subtle string sounds, too. If I were to use other sounds I think it'd be better to buy a small midi keyboard to side. I want this keyboard to sound like a piano.

Also, I'm trying to find out if there are any portable keyboards that sustain your sound when you switch from one sound to the next. Whenever I change my sound on the Yamaha it stops abruptly and the sound does not continue until I hit something new. I hate that.

Should I find a really solid portable keyboard that has great action and response and buy modules with the sounds I want? I really am lost at this point. The Korg Triton LE has way too many functions. I am not looking for a home studio in a keyboard. Still, when I compare its sounds to keyboards that only have a few, they are fair superior. So I'm caught in a dilemma.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am looking to spend at least $2000.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question