Looking to buy a new keyboard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Most of my life I played uprights.

Took a break from piano for a few years and unfortunately my skills suffered. :(

Anyway, I've had this tinny Yamaha keyboard for a few months, but getting sick of it.

I'm looking to buy a good quality keyboard that has the following:
  • Full 88 keys
  • Weighting (as realistic as possible)
  • Sustain pedal
  • Good piano sound
  • Fender Rhodes sound if possible
  • Ability to connect to a PC and import voices, effects, etc
  • Ability to record MIDI to a laptop(?)
  • Programmable through a computer, but apart from that, should be pretty easy to use, and not require heaps of fiddling to get a few good sounds
  • Not concerned about the size

Any opinions on what brand of keyboard would be best?

Reaction score
That's a decent amount to play with! - it has been known that folks have all sorts of

wishes/demands..... and then say they've got a budget of $200.....!!!

Is it piano-type sounds only that you're after, or would you like all the bells-&-whistles?

ps: You say size isn't important - do you want a nice-looking 'piece of furniture'-type of instrument,

or one that is designed to be portable?

Also do you have amplification - or would you prefer 'built-in' speakers?

Reaction score
hello.

jpscoey has some really good diagnostic questions that should help steer you in the right direction with your choice. If you've already decided, I would be interested in what you went for.

Seeing that you've played uprights most of your life, you may want to look at the Clavinova series digital pianos (Yamaha). They approach the keyboard from a piano standpoint vs a synthesizer standpoint, but is also interfaceable with a computer using a midi.

However, Clavinovas are heavy and will be more like your upright piano than a portable synthesizer.

Good luck!
Mark

Ask a Question