Looking to buy keyboard with weighted keys

Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in a keyboard with 76 weighted keys, midi, as lightweight as possible, Not interested in any bells or whistles, just a few good acoustic and electric piano sounds. Any ideas?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And Lightweight as possible?

Take a look at the Casio PX line. The PX-160, the PX-360 and the PX-560 as well as the PX-5S from their pro line of stage pianos. No speakers in that one though.

Also these are all 88 key models.

Chances are any pro 76 key stage pianos you may find will weigh more than the Casios.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Great, I'll look into these. I have a Kurzweil 76 SP at the moment and it weighs a ton!
No speakers is not a problem. Thanks, Gary! :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I know what you mean about Kurzweils. My PC3K8 weighs in at 54 lbs. At least 80 lbs. when it's packed in its Gator TSA case. :eek:

Casio has made some phenomenal inroads into pro gear the past few years and they boast one of the best actions in the business these days along with the lightest weights and world class piano voices.

The PX-5S weighs in just under 25 lbs!!!

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yes! I've been hearing that about Casio. 25 lbs is good!
I know, I'm tired of breaking my back with the Kurzweil. :(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you're requiring real MIDI ports you'll have to look at the 360 and the 5S and the 560.

I believe the 160 has USB MIDI only but the 360, the 560 and the 5S all have real MIDI IN and OUT as well as USB MIDI ports.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, Gary...btw I checked these out and they all have 88 keys. I need one with 76 keys, but can't seem to find anything.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well you might be soured on Kurzweil but there is the new Artis 7 with 76 keys weighing in at 27.7 lbs.

http://kurzweil.com/product/artis7/specs/

On the plus side you have experience with the Kurzweil style of editing and loading patches and the Kurzweil German Piano sound is supposed to be out of this world..

On the minus side it's about $700 over your budget.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1097140-REG/kurzweil_artis_7_76_note_semi_weighted.html

Is 88 keys really a dealbreaker for you? Are you really that tight for space that an extra octave breaks the camel's back?

I say this because 76 key options will limit you to a tiny subset of piano manufacturers.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't squeeze 88 keys into the only space I have for a keyboard. :(

I will check out that Kurzweil, though, even though it's pricey...thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The only other choices I can see are the Korg SV-1 73 weighing in at over 38 lbs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SV1-73BK

or the Roland RD-64 with only 64 keys.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RD64

or else a 73 key Nord Stage Piano pricing in at well over $2500 USD.

Given your requirements I think the Kurzweil Artis 7 will end up being your only sane choice.

No matter what, keep us posted on what you choose and how it works out for you.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome.

Keep us posted on your final decision and how it works out for you.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I can personally vouch for the quality of the Casio Privia line of boards. If you're looking for something slightly more pro, the Roland RD line is great too. My wife has a Yamaha DGX 700 series digital piano and it also feels great, but it's heavy.

If you strictly want the midi functionality to use with a laptop, midi synth rack, etc, then look at the Akai Professional MPK-88. They're fantastic but midi only. No sounds. I personally am aiming for an Akai to use with my Ableton Live setup with Native Instruments Komplete library.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm now leaning heavily towards the Kurzweil...thanks so much for all your help! :D
That Kurzweil does not have hammer action weighted keys. For a 76 Kurzweil, you'd have to go up to the pricier and heavier Forte 7.

Another way to go would be the Studiologic Acuna-73 combined with an iPad running an app like Korg Module or some of the other good piano/EP apps. Though like the Nord and Korg options, it's 73, not 76.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Artis Keys are weighted, but not hammer action.

76/73 key pianos with hammer actions are few and far between.

I think the Nord Stage is 73 Hammer action Keys.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question