Lost Patch

Reaction score
Hi All, obviously new here. Looks like this place may be a lot of help, motivation, and ideas.
Right now I'm trying to remember how I did something I thought I was sure that I did in the past. I have a roland juno type, a roland JV 1080 rack mount, a yamaha p-85 piano, roland and peavy amps and 2 yamaha UX-16 interfaces.
Anyway, somehow in the past I was sure I could get a single midi track to play through the JV 1080 as 12 string regardless of the instrument chosen in the midi file. The GM mode does not have the 12 string preset. The user, and I think "perform" modes do. I can't hear anything except in GM mode when playing a midi file. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Are you trying to play it thru a computer DAW or are you using a built in sequencer in the Roland?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Are you trying to play it thru a computer DAW or are you using a built in sequencer in the Roland?

Gary ;)
Hi Gary, Thanks for replying!! They are midi files composed or edited with Anvil Studio and usually played back with Anvil also. The free Anvil I use just has the basic 128 (I think) midi instruments and there is no 12 string. Often when I am physically playing my piano I play midi out to the Roland JV1080 using the 12 string preset (not using anything but the piano and synth). I love that sound. Playing 12 string live from my piano I can still do. However, I was sure that I found a way in the past to play from the PC at least one midi track from the midi software (anvil or other) out through the UX-16 midi interface (USB to 5 pin midi) and into the JV 1080 and set the JV1080 to play the notes as 12 string. Now I can't remember how I did it. So far I can only get the JV 1080 to play a midi file (from the PC and interface) in a "GM" mode which has very limited instruments to choose from. In the GM mode it can be switched to other presets while playing a midi file track but there is no 12 string on the presets in GM mode that I could find. I'm not sure but I think in GM mode it only shows GM-1 type instruments and maybe not even all of those.
I guess to simplify, I am just trying to figure out how to play a midi file as 12 string on my JV 1080.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You need to import a Cakewalk INS file for your instrument and then assign the instruments in Anvil Studio.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You need to import a Cakewalk INS file for your instrument and then assign the instruments in Anvil Studio.

Gary ;)
Still trying to figure out what you mean. I went to cakewalk to look at their software but not sure what is what or that I even want to buy cakewalk yet. I downloaded "command center" which was a mistake thinking that was a free trial or something. If possible I'd rather look at midi and audio software later and get suggestions. I also need to later find out what sequencing is and how to do it. For now I'm just trying to figure how I got the JV 1080 to play a midi file as 12 string. If what you meant was a suggestion for an alternative or better way to do it I still don't know what you mean for sure. Import a 12 string instrument from cakewalk to both the JV1080 and to Anvil? Don't let me make you think I know keyboard jargon etc or have experience. My experience is very hit and miss and abstract. I've never hung around keyboardists and mainly played upright pianos in the past. I started synths with a radio shack moog in the early 80's then a juno type roland and now the 1080. All just occasionally around the house when I feel like playing something. So just because I might know some terms there are many I don't. I do have a lot of originals I'd like to optimize and record and I like making midis and playing them through the piano or JV1080.
When I thought I last played a midi thru the JV 1080 (from PC, midi interface, and anvil) using 12 string I thought it was for a single fingerstyle guitar track for stairway to heaven and it sounded nice. I thought I did it by some kind of tricky way of setting the 1080 to play the 12 string from midi but using the user or perform patch list rather than the limited GM patch list.
I do have the very extensive manual for the 1080 which is probably still downloadable from roland but just as here I'm probably not using or understandng the right terms for what I'm trying to do.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Anvil Studio uses public domain Cakewalk INS or Instrument Definitions Files to tell the sequencer what instruments are available on your particular hardware.

Google "Roland JV1080 Cakewalk INS file" to find and download the file, then watch these tutorials on Anvil Studio to learn how to use it properly.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anvil+studio+tutorial

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Well I finally found a way to make it work, silly me. After a day of searching sites and reviewing programs and VSTs I finally got around to looking at Anvil tutorials. None I saw on youtube helped me but googling Anvil VST's took me to their site which shows proven VST's to work with Anvil.
I noticed it said you need to have a newer version which I felt may not mean much. I tried the spicy guitar VST . It would not install. So then I did download the newer version of anvil. I deliberately had an older version for a reason I can't remember now. Holy crap. The new version was all I needed to begin with. That version has an import VST my old one didnt. The spicy guitar still wouldn't install. BUT! with the new anvil I was actually able to install "Roland JV 1080" in place of the GS wavetable as the synth for each midi track. In the "Roland JV1080" scroll down as the track instrument it has about 10 GM variations incl GM-2 with 12 string. I guess it must have got those from the JV 1080 patches? So I played the midi guitar track for 3 doors down "here without you" in 12 string thru the 1080 to the peavey amp and it sounded absolutely beautiful. Now I'm going to need to redo my midi collection. I'd like to have a good steel lap guitar for my high hopes midi.
Thanks Gary! You led me there.

Reaction score
Just thought I should mention that I soon later realized the 12 string was actually coming from GM-2 and not the JV1080. Someone else may have caught that. It sounds pretty good thru the 1080 and amp but I think the JV1080 12 string preset sounds a little better. So anyway, I still haven't figured out, or remembered, how to run midi files, or at least a single track midi, to the JV 1080, and select from banks which have the 12 string preset. I really thought I did that in the past somehow.
user bank it's #125
preset A bank it's #112

Last edited:

Ask a Question