Low-stamina fingers

Reaction score
Remember that any fast song must be practiced slowly at first so that you train your fingers to do the right thing in the right rhythm. Then, you gradually increase the speed. Any song that has been sped up too soon will sound sloppy and rushed, with uneven rhythms and wrong notes. Try slowing the song down and really emphasizing each note and the rhythms to be very exact. Then, gradually speed up your metronome until you can play it perfectly at the speed you're at. Then, move it up a little more until you can play it perfectly at that speed. It takes a long time and many times through, but results in a flawless performance at any speed.

Yeah, I've done that mistake maaaaany times, and I recently realized that I should try to learn from the mistakes. So the latest fast riffs/songs I've learned, I've tried to overdo that method, just to make sure I don't go to full-speed too early. So that is something that I'm actually aware of, and doing my best to improve.

Reaction score
Great. I wasn't sure of your level as I'm new here. It's fun to get to know all of you. There are some great tips here.

Reaction score
Remember that any fast song must be practiced slowly at first so that you train your fingers to do the right thing in the right rhythm. Then, you gradually increase the speed. Any song that has been sped up too soon will sound sloppy and rushed, with uneven rhythms and wrong notes. Try slowing the song down and really emphasizing each note and the rhythms to be very exact. Then, gradually speed up your metronome until you can play it perfectly at the speed you're at. Then, move it up a little more until you can play it perfectly at that speed. It takes a long time and many times through, but results in a flawless performance at any speed.

Got it in one there, Amy! It's really worth spending time over this sort of thing, as it will really pay off. You may find eventually that any fast sections of a piece will quickly become the easiest parts as they are so ingrained into your fingers that you can play them with your eyes closed (it's a great party trick!)

Also, if you're playing off sheet music with fingerings suggested, use them! (they may be in a separate performance directions section). I've lost count of the number of times I've had to relearn speedy passages because my fingers have gotten into lazy habits!

Reaction score
Also, if you're playing off sheet music with fingerings suggested, use them! (they may be in a separate performance directions section). I've lost count of the number of times I've had to relearn speedy passages because my fingers have gotten into lazy habits!

I agree that, in general, you should follow the suggested fingerings,
but -be warned- you should not always take this as the be-all & end-all..!

Depending on what piece (or style) you are playing, you have to be able to adapt
from the 'accepted' structure of conventional teaching.

By following the 'classical' format you risk falling into the trap that so many classically-trained musicians fall in to
- ie: no idea what to play unless it's written for them.

I have encountered numerous so-called 'musicians' who are competely bewildered when sitting down at a keyboard
and there is no sheet music in front of them!

Music is all about expressing yourself, and you will never be able to do that if you
copy "parrot-fashion" what you are told to do!

It took me years of 'de-training' to be liberated from this adage, and
once I was liberated from the restrictions imposed on me I found a whole new world of freedom & enjoyment!

Yes, the basics are essential - but do not let them hold you back!

Reaction score
Too cool. That's just what I stated in another thread, but not so eloquently. I'm glad you agree. I'm too tied to the notes and need to be freed from this. I'm giving myself permission to improvise more and more. I just don't know what to do, yet. Hopefully it will come.

Reaction score
Too cool. That's just what I stated in another thread, but not so eloquently. I'm glad you agree. I'm too tied to the notes and need to be freed from this. I'm giving myself permission to improvise more and more. I just don't know what to do, yet. Hopefully it will come.

Yeah & then you have folks like me, who are learning completely by ear, and read music like a first-grader if at all. In general I'll only use reading if I want to learn a classical piece, I'll struggle with every note, then I'll memorize it & throw the music away. And I only know about 2 classical pieces.

My dad plays lovely classical piano but I don't think he would have a clue how to play without sheet music.

Reaction score
I still think I could learn a thing or two from you. You want to teach me something about playing by ear? I need help. Also, I need my piano tuned. It's really bothering me.

Reaction score
Playing by ear

I still think I could learn a thing or two from you. You want to teach me something about playing by ear? .

Hahahha... me teach you something?? You're a piano teacher, I probly need lessons from YOU! Well, playing by ear is... listen to the song & find out what key it is in. If you can match up a pitch you hear to a note on the piano, you can do it. (I understand that not everyone has this ability.) Listen to the chords in the song & find them on the piano. Then pick out the riffs. (classical is much harder, I'm into songs of the 60s.)

The basic idea is simple, of course you have to listen to the song a lot. When you get to a part you can't figure out, stop the song & try to play the part. (the computer has really helped with this...I use winAmp and Youtube. Back in the Day when I taught myself bluegrass banjo, I had to keep lifting up the arm of the phonograph to stop the record & figure out a part, then put the needle back on for the next part. Not good for the records.

anyway, that's how I learn a song by ear. The hard part is getting the dexterity to switch chords & play riffs as quickly as the song does. That's what I've been working on for a year & 1/2.

Reaction score
Great! That's a good description of how to play by ear. I'll have to try again. It's good to know that it takes a long time and lots of listening. I know what you mean, they do play it too fast a lot of times. I heard about a program that will slow down the song but still keep it in the same key. I wish I had saved where I saw that.

Reaction score
Great! That's a good description of how to play by ear. I'll have to try again. It's good to know that it takes a long time and lots of listening. I know what you mean, they do play it too fast a lot of times. I heard about a program that will slow down the song but still keep it in the same key. I wish I had saved where I saw that.

I have a plug-in called Chronotron that does just that, and you can even change the key, if necessary. (don't ask me where I got it, though... Think a friend sent it to me or something...)

Ask a Question