M Audio Code 49 Certain keys silent, assigned to a function but I cannot find anything online explaining the issue

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a soundtrack composer using an M-Audio Code49 ($$$ went to the orchestral librarie$) and the B below C3 IS SILENT.
It was G A and B but somehow I tricked it into switching the keys back to MIDI (SINCE ITS A MIDI CONTROLLER!) - however the B below the C below middle C is silent and for me, the low B is very very very important.
I dl'd the manual, thats how I got this far. From what I can tell "B2" is MIDI ON/OFF, I tried to change it and lost all function until I just kept trying and trying.
I was a research data analyst for a decade, I'm not a nube I code 9 languages for multimillion dollar contracts at work. But THIS? Very frustrating.

TLDR; M-Audio Code 49 B2 key is silent, likely assigned to something I cannot clear, I cannot find any option of clearing.
The Manual is here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/621226.pdf
PS - The reset to default by powering on while.... method doesnt work and is not an option due to a broken power button.

I am working on a soundtrack and literally just have to put the finishing touches on it- which requires this key, no way around it. I appreciate any and all help!.

Thank you greatly!

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a soundtrack composer using an M-Audio Code49 ($$$ went to the orchestral librarie$) and the B below C3 IS SILENT.
It was G A and B but somehow I tricked it into switching the keys back to MIDI (SINCE ITS A MIDI CONTROLLER!) - however the B below the C below middle C is silent and for me, the low B is very very very important.
I dl'd the manual, thats how I got this far. From what I can tell "B2" is MIDI ON/OFF, I tried to change it and lost all function until I just kept trying and trying.
I was a research data analyst for a decade, I'm not a nube I code 9 languages for multimillion dollar contracts at work. But THIS? Very frustrating.

TLDR; M-Audio Code 49 B2 key is silent, likely assigned to something I cannot clear, I cannot find any option of clearing.
The Manual is here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/621226.pdf
PS - The reset to default by powering on while.... method doesnt work and is not an option due to a broken power button.

I am working on a soundtrack and literally just have to put the finishing touches on it- which requires this key, no way around it. I appreciate any and all help!.

Thank you greatly!
My new rule is not to answer any questions from someone with only one post because most of time one time posters are never heard from again however I'll make this one exception. Even though your power button is "broken" your keyboard power button must be stuck on "on" or you would need to keep the keyboard powered on all the time because you would have no way to turn the unit back on. So my assumption is that you unplug the unit from a power source to turn it off then replug the unit into a power source (AC adapter or USB power) to turn it on. So:
  • unplug the power source so that the unit is off
  • hold down both octave buttons (+ and -) and plug the unit back into a power source (while the buttons are held down)

This will do the factory reset.

Reaction score
and once again burned by the one-time poster.... never again.
Nope. I have 3 jobs - its not the power control. In seeming undecodable instances the B works fine, eg in Cubase while using a certain driver and other combinations which I promise do not lead to a resolution. I did try the reset. And downloading the firmware and resetting it, and using the
I'm quite sure it is either a "hidden" keyswitch or a preset trigger of some kind or similar "use a musical key for something other than music" logic which programmers love I think much more than composers in the middle of an actual symphonic movement and then a mandatory pedal note is simply not available.
I have the CODE 49 settings program but there is NO reference in the Spitfire manuals, NI manuals, or the M-Audio manual.
I can not find a single related question online ANYWHERE.
To be clear THE KEY WORKS FINE outside of MIDI use. It even works tickity boo in komplete kontrol or kontakt but the nanosecond I start using any DAW I lose both B1 and B2

Anyone? This is is like a absolute roadblock to my work. I sunk in more money than I can afford for the libraries etc and now this random setting is gut punching me.

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTE!!! If I transpose up an octave the key which doesn't trigger a sound goes up an octave in physical position.
Sorry - forgot to mention this. This is why Im saying its some setting.
Thanks please thanks...........

Ask a Question