M3 program loading question

Reaction score
I just got my M3 and I'm trying to load some free downloads (Vintage keys and some combis ) from Korg website. I have copied the files to a USB stick and I see them as PCG files when I try to load them.

The problem is that I get an error code "file unavailable" when I try to load them from the USB stick.

What am I doing wrong?!?

Any help is appreciated,

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I tried it and got the same message "file unavailable". It's got to be something simple because I downloaded the Xpanded update and it worked fine.

It seems that I get to the point of loading it and there comes a prompt about locations (from this bank to that bank). After that I hit "OK" and I get the error message. Is there a video or step-by-step process about loading external sound banks you know of that might help? The manual seems a bit vague about it.

Reaction score
Ah... ok, maybe you didn't upgrade your M3 correctly.

You see, when updating from OS 1.x to OS2.0 you HAVE TO upgrade
twice from the global menu.

Then upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1, and then you need to upgrade just once.

After that you can load the Vintage Keys .pcg
I guess your M3 isn't updated the way it should be so it can't read the new OS .pcg

Reaction score
OK, I will try to update for the second time. My screen currently shows the Xpanded logo and says that it's at version 2.0. I remember reading that it needed to be done twice but I thought since I see the logo, I'm good.

Are you saying there is an additional update available for version 2.1 ??

Reaction score
You need to update it twice - no matter the logo.

You can find a detailed description on updating in the zip with the update itself.
And yes - there is a new update - it's 2.04. (not 2.1) Sorry for the wrong info above

Reaction score
Well, I'm all upgraded and I still get the same "file unavailable" message when trying to load the Vintage Keys PCG. file.

I looked in the manual under error messages and it said that "file unavailable" means that the format of the file is wrong or unrecognized. I saved the files to a fat 16 formatted 2 gb USB stick because that's what I had a lot of for my Motif ES.

I think I'll save the files to a 4 gb stick (fat32) and try it from there.

Reaction score
yea i don't think that will help. You're obviously doing something wrong.

Just make sure you updated your OS the way it should be updated.

There's no way you should keep getting that message if you have a fully
updated OS 2.x

Unless the file got corrupted or you have a faulty USB drive

Reaction score
I finally got it to load after switching to the 4gb USB stick!! It must have been the fat 16 format giving me/M3 problems. Sadly, after all my troubles, I wasn't impressed with the EP's in this set of programs compared to my Motif ES's. At least I know I can add other sounds now !!

Reaction score
Hehe, here's a little tip for you - Switch to Real Time Control and boost the 6th and 7th slider a bit.

I had the ES and personally, I think the EPs on the M3 are better. They have that "click-punchy" tone to it which the ES lacks.

Also - don't use presets - create your own sounds... Get the EP through a crunchy overdriven amp... or a rotary speaker... fun effects

Ask a Question