M3 vs Fantom vs Motif

Reaction score
Which have you used and which do you like the best out of the M3, the Fantom X8, and the Yamaha Xs8?

I can get a brand new Fantom-X8 for about $2,570. Does that sound like a good deal?

Reaction score
depends on what your lookin for...for accoustic type sounds i would chose the motif line .....i have a motif es rack and love it...the motif XS line is a step up from that...the xs also just came out with a rack module if you dont need the keyboard.....i also have the roland JUNO G which has the same sound engine as the fanthom x...there sounds are good too but its geared more toward "synth" type sounds...although i have the srx06 orchestral expansion board in it which is what i use the most....BUT...both have good sounds but the choices are just a little different.....but i cant help ya with the m3....dont know anything about it

Being a guy who likes and needs accoustic type sounds..ie; brass, strings, accoustic guitars, piano's and elect type pianos....I would get the motif for sure:cool:

Reaction score
I had been thinking about getting the Motif rack to get a good acoustic piano sound and some synth patches. Is there anything that the rack doesn't have that you really miss not having that is available on the regular Motif?

I have a Nord stage 88 that I'm really not happy with the piano sounds and I don't really want to carry around the beast that the Motif CS8 is.

I have gotten attached to a lot of the other sounds in the Nord, clav, electric pianos and a lot of the synth patches.

Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
whats missing in the motif rack is there is no sequencer and no sampling capability

Btw, yamaha just came out with the motif XS rack...cant get it until may. (ithink)..but it will have all the same sounds in it as the motif XS keyboard...

So, if your looking mainly for "sounds" and you can use your nord as a controller, you might wanna wait 3 or 4 weeks for the XS rack...they talkin like its gonna sell for about 1500.00(USD)

Good luck

Keyplayer

Reaction score
Thanks keyplayer. So, the sequencer is what makes the keyboard a 'workstation'? I saw a NAMM demo on youtube from this year and the ability to make tracks and record on the keyboard was amazing, however, the guy made it look easy. There must be a pretty big learning curve though.

And is the sampling for the user to make samples or to load prerecorded samples? I'm still really kinda of a dummy when it comes to synths and workstations. I've been mostly a piano and B-3 player.

Do you miss not having the sequencer and the sampling?

The Nord is kinda weird too. There's no way to change the sound programs for connected midi keyboards separately from changing the internal sounds so when you change an internal sound you also change the sound on the midi channel.

I have a Yamaha KX-88 that I really like the action on but the keys have started becoming lazy and some stick sometimes. I took out all of the keys and greased them, up, put the keys back and they are still lazy, like the springs have started to relax too much. Don't know if that can be fixed.

Thanks!

Reaction score
On the motif XS, i think you can record your own samples or load prerecorded...what alot of guys are doing is loading midi files into the sample ram an then using the the xs sounds to make the midi file sound more realistic...the sequencer on the xs series is pretty cool as it will play multiple arpegio patterns and has serious editing capabilities

As for me, i have a basic sequencer in my roland junoG that i sometimes use...but im in a studio setting and also have a 16 track standalone recorder so the sequencer isnt really important to me...but the capabilities of the xs would be cool to have access to

The control change problem your having with your nord changing sounds that you dont want changed, should be able to be fixed. I dont know anything about the nord, but where midi is concerned, you should be able to make a "control change" that will ignore the program changes that your getting....you would have to check the manual of the nord to see how to do it

Reaction score
Keyplayer,

Thanks.

I checked with Nord and they don't have any way to configure changing internal programs. He suggested that I turn off allowing program changes in the Roland MKS-20.

It seems like a good controller would allow you to select a midi channel and then have some way to change the programs only for that midi channel. I would also like to layer sounds with the Nord and the MKS-20 but there isn't any way to assign a midi channel and program to an internal Nord voice.

I'm building a small home studio but I still do live gigs. I was really impressed with the NAMM demos of the XS but that's a heavy mother to carry around.

Ask a Question