Making Music with an iPad and Midi Keyboard

Reaction score
This is my first post so I'll say "Hi" to everyone.
I have been doing a lot of work over the last 12 months on preparing a good selection of free high quality instrument sounds that can be played with a midi keyboard connected to either an iPhone or iPad (or PC). The project began with converting first a great sounding free Steinway from the University of Iowa to a format that can be easily accessed by SondFont players but soon progressed to converting the huge 16 layer free Salamander Yamaha C5 also to this format along with a lot of editing to improve performance. The end result is a lot of free instruments ranging from pianos, guitars and orchestra (mostly courtesy of Sonatina Symphonic) and many other freely available Creative Commons Licensed sounds.
These are not the cheap tacky uninteresting sounds that you usually come across with google. I hope after playing them you will agree they are on par with many high-end keyboards and what is available via expensive app purchases.

Anyhow you can listen to a few samples on my site or listen to some of the work by Anifuse in Japan who is making good use of the Yamaha Grand on YouTube.

In order to play the instruments you do need a SoundFont player and connecting cables. There are free SoundFont players available for PC such as Plogue Sforzando and a good one for iPhone/iPad is mentioned on my site including set up instructions.
Once I have an idea of the level of interest (and maybe a couple of "likes") I will post the link to my site.
In the meantime you can find it by googling "google sites soundfonts4u".

Thanks for listening and great forum.
John

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There are quite a few things there! I haven't downloaded and tried out any yet, but am looking forward to doing so. :)

Ask a Question