Making My Own Pedals for Keyboard

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post here on this forum
biggrin.gif

I am new to playing keyboard and have just purchased a Yamaha YPT-200, yes i know a really poor keyboard but its all i could afford at the moment. Well as you know it is reletivly simple with not much added effects. I was wondering, as i really enjoy making thinks, if i could make some sort of effects box that can be plugged in-line with the amp cable. I know i could use guitar pedals on the keyboard but that raises the problem of cost again, plus its not as fun
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your help, hopefully this will start a discussion about making your own effects for keyboard.

Reaction score
The only way to keep the cost cheap would be to run your keyboard through a computer (assuming you already have an audio interface), and write plugins/use free ones (and there are some good free effects plugins).

Unless you have a way of getting the components and metal for a casing really cheaply, as well as access to all the tools to put it together, I doubt you could build a pedal for much cheaper than buying one, plus you'd have to have extensive knowledge of what you were trying to do, plus it'd take a lot of time. By all means do this if it's fun, but I doubt you'll save any money doing it.

Reaction score
Good points there Kanthos, i have a computer and have just orderd a USB to Midi cable from ebay for £8.00 so i should be able to use my PC. The making of the pedals would be more for fun then anything else. I have a few qualifications in electronics so hopefully that should help.

Thanks again

Reaction score
USB to MIDI wouldn't help you with just effects though; you'd need to run a 1/4" out from your keyboard into your computer somehow. Or, if you're using USB to MIDI, you would have to have your computer produce the sound in addition to adding the effects, and just use your keyboard as a MIDI controller.

Anyway, good luck with building something, if you go that route. By all means post some pictures or steps here; I'm sure other people who are more handy than I am would love to try that.

Ask a Question