Master to Slave MIDI shutting down sequencer

Reaction score
If there is a thread on this please lead me to it.
No matter which is the Master this the result. I need to know if there is something I am not doing. All I want is to sync the time clocks on all units.
I can get my Electribe to control the clock of my MiniNova.
I can get my Roland JD xi to control the MiniNova clock also.
I can get the Roland to control the Electribe.
I can get the Electribe to control the Roland.
HOWEVER, when I attempt to use the Electribe as the Master then Roland as Slave then the MiniNova there is NO control over the MiniNova clock. SAME result if the Roland is the Master then Slave to Electribe the MiniNova is not under control.
I've even tried going from Electribe to Nova to Roland and of course Roland to MiniNova to Electribe. In these scenarios with the MiniNova in the middle there is no functionality of the arps and sequencer of the unit following the MiniNova.
The curious part is that the MiniNova will control the clock of the Electribe or Roland as long as one of the other is not anywhere associated with the chain.
WTH? Ha ha

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
When you send an external MIDI clock to a device, I don't think it forwards the external clock from its MIDI In to its MIDI Out; normally you would use MIDI Thru to do that. Unfortunately, the Roland doesn't have a MIDI Thru.

One solution is to get two MIDI boxes, one that will split (clone) a single MIDI In signal into two identical MIDI Out signals, and another that will merge two MIDI In signals into a single MIDI Out signal, so you can do the following:

Electribe MIDI Out >> splitter MIDI In
splitter MIDI Out 1 >> Roland MIDI In
splitter MIDI Out 2 >> merger MIDI In 1
Roland MIDI Out >> merger MIDI In 2
merger MIDI Out >> MiniNova MIDI In

That way the Roland and the MiniNova can both get the MIDI clock from the Electribe, and the MiniNova can also get MIDI messages from the Roland. If you don't want the MiniNova to get all of the messages from the Electribe, you might be able to set up the splitter or merger to filter out any unwanted message types, assuming you get a box that can do that sort of processing in addition to splitting or merging.

An alternative might be to get a MIDI interface from iConnectivity which has multiple MIDI Ins and multiple MIDI Outs, and set up the MIDI routing within the interface so that a similar sort of splitting, merging, and (if desired) filtering occurs.

Reaction score
You my friend are a genius. That is exactly what I needed to do. I have obtained a midi splitter with one in and four outs. That was The Cure thank you thank you thank you

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You're welcome! I guess you're just using the connections to send the clock signals for synchronizing everything, and don't need to worry about merging the Roland's MIDI with the Electribe's to drive the MiniNova? :)

Reaction score
You're welcome! I guess you're just using the connections to send the clock signals for synchronizing everything, and don't need to worry about merging the Roland's MIDI with the Electribe's to drive the MiniNova? :)
Yessir... Just the clock. Thank you

Ask a Question