media player, preferable to RealPlayer...

Reaction score
hello

would you know of a more reliable media player than RealPlayer--which seems to hang up mid-stream...

essentially, a program that will play various media *offline*--RealPlayer appears to rely on 'cloud' access more often, for both storage and functionality...

like RP, it would need to have a storage component--for holding more than a few YT videos, images, etc.

a program for purchase would suffice (i.e., it's not necessarily freeware that is sought)...

again: some way to download You Tube videos to the laptop, store them, then view them while offline...

thank you

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What you're actually looking for is a media "ripper" not a player.

If you wish to download and play youtubes locally then in Firefox you have a whole bunch of addons you can use.

One I used to use was called Flashgot.

There's literally dozens of others.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry. I'm a Firefox/Linux user.

I'd suggest googling "Video ripper/downloader for IE" or same for chrome.

Gary :)

Reaction score
hi

Would you know if RealPlayer has a copyright agreement with, e.g., You Tube, to facilitate downloading of videos?

We checked for apps, and the reviews all complain that it does not download YT--is this a copyright infringement issue?

thank you...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No that I know of. AFAIK Youtube licenses all of its videos under non commercial fair use as defined by copyright law. This of course excludes their items which are paid only exclusives.

Realmedia however, uses a proprietary format which I'm surprised to hear that anyone still uses at all.

Youtube does use a hybrid mish mosh of Adobe Flash Video as well as HTML5 during the current transition away from Flash to HTML5 standards among browsers.

If you research it, there are workarounds to still use Flash instead of HTML5 with Youtube though I can not speculate on how much longer these options will stick around.

I really don't understand your problem with finding a suitable app.

Here's my own results for a simple google search.

https://www.google.ca/search?num=10...wnloader+app&oq=youtube+to+mp4+downloader+app

As you can see, there's literally dozens of hits right up top.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's an in depth article on the abortion that is the Digital Millenium Copyright Act as it pertains to Youtube.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/internet/is-it-legal-download-youtube-videos-3420353/

Technically it is illegal to watch any Youtube video on any other medium than directly thru their online viewer using their own ad based app.

Realistically it is a load of unenforceable hooey which they foisted upon their contributors by single click TOS agreements which contributors and viewers are forced to agree to in order to be able to "use the service."

Nobody's going to come after you for violating a copyright unless the original owner of the video did not authorize its posting on youtube.

If you need to know any more you'll have to be way more specific about what exactly you are trying to accomplish here.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question