Melody lines

ash

Reaction score
Hi i play my yamaha E 453 KEyboard with midi files, im learning a melody to which i've learnt the first verse and chorus, would it be ok if i played the same notes that i play in the 1st verse in the 2nd verse even though the notes alter in the 2nd verse in the original song? To me it sounds ok but to the listener it might not.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Unless you're playing in a tribute band that prides itself on duplicating a famous group's hits note-for-note, the general rule of thumb in music is that it's okay for a performer or band to put their own spin on a well-known musical number. And I don't know of many bands who can reproduce their own hits note-for-note during a live performance. So my opinion would be that it's okay to repeat the first verse instead of altering it for the second verse.

Reaction score
To me it sounds ok but to the listener it might not.
If you're playing solely for your own pleasure then that should be the determinant of what you play. No rules (unless you set them for yourself), just enjoy.

If you're playing for an audience you should still play what feels "right" to you. But of course this may be tempered by they type of experience you wish the audience to have. There's no one correct answer to this question - it's an amalgam of what works for you, your colleagues (if you play with others), your audience.

Ultimately it's you who is striking the keys, so you who controls what gets played!

Ask a Question