Metallica - Master of Puppets

Reaction score
Hello all !

Here's my attempt at this dark, little intro of a classic metal song , have a look :

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I can't say I'm all that familiar with the tune. <<< (Not much of a Metallica fan.)

But it seemed a little off tempo in parts. Maybe just my imagination.

I'd be curious to hear you score a few original orchestrations on your keyboard. You definitely have the technical aspects of piano down pat.

How about it? Do you feel like investing in some sequencing software or even a free package like anvil studio and taking a shot at creating an instant classic? :)

Gary

Reaction score
Hey thanks for your time and thoughts, Gary !

Well, I'd definitely love to score a composition some fine day, I have ideas on my mind but the problem( if it is one ) is - I am clueless about where to start with the recording procedure .

If only someone could tell me step by step on how to get started, what connections, equipment(s) are needed and all that...I would love to give my art, an outlet .

Although I am familiar with terms like - Midi,Vst's ; software like - Audacity, Cubase ; equipment like - Portable recorders(Zoom,Tascam) and stuff....I am still naive about how and what to use these stuff .

Sorry for the long post :) I am kinda venting out my helplessness here lol but yeah I think the playing part is the foremost . If one is okay with that, everything else just falls into place.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all tell us what you currently have.

To start all you'll probably need is an audio cable and a USB AB cable or a USB to MIDI cable to make the proper hookups to your computer.

Then for software you could start out with a free copy of Reaper or Anvil Studio and you'd be good to start.

As for how to use the gear, do a few youtube searches on "Anvil Studio Tutorial" and "Home Recording Tutorial" and you'll learn much more quickly by watching a few videos.

That should get you started ;)

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for the info ! Well, I have a CASIO CDP 120 , which has no line in/out but has a headphone port and a USB port as well. I have a computer with audacity installed as well. That is all.

Another question, since I am more inclined towards making youtube vids/covers. Can I use any portable recorder(Zoom, Tascam) for the same ?

What is the easier way to record myself ? Using computer or using aud/vid recorders ?

Thanks again for your patience and support, as I mentioned I am a complete noob when it comes to recording technology.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually if you are producing videos that's a whole different ball of wax from what I usually do.

I lay down multiple tracks one at a time with a mIdi sequencing program like Cakewalk. I usually start with drums then bassline then rhythm then lead but everyone has their own style.

Recording in MIDI format also allows you to edit note by note to get rid of any accidentals and whatnot.

My final audio recording is a computer soundcard recording of a MIDI playback of all the tracks together.

At least that's what I find easiest.

Recording multitrack audio is definitely not the most forgiving medium for recording and edits are difficult if not impossible.

Editing multitrack audio for video is even tougher, especially if you start syncing up multiple splitscreens with your sound tracks.

Anyway, if you really want to get into orchestration and home recording a good place to ask is over at this board.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/

To give you an idea of how I do it, take a look at these youtubes.

There are plenty of good sequencing DAWs out there so look around and search them out on youtube to learn how to use them and which ones you'd like best.

Gary

Ask a Question