microkorg nightmare

Reaction score
Any REALLY quick answrs would be much appreciated:

I am an experienced PIANIST, but, i have just got a microkorg and am COMPLETELY new to all the keyboard stuff, it literally just got opened out of the box.

Shockingly, i found that my concerns about the key size were in fact quite correct, and am desperately seeing if i can find a MIDI keyboard to controll it, as well as be an extra toy.

Is this easy? would the 'Alesis Micron Synth' do?

I am willing to spend up to around £350, or $720 roughly.

Secondly, is there anything else that i would need for my microkorg/microkorg+MIDI combo.?? Don't worry about what you may consider as obvious things, as being completely new and rather naive i am probably missing something!!!

many thanks!!!

Reaction score
((these are merely internet names, i have little idea as to whether they are suitable))

Reaction score
Any REALLY quick answrs would be much appreciated:

I am an experienced PIANIST, but, i have just got a microkorg and am COMPLETELY new to all the keyboard stuff, it literally just got opened out of the box.

Shockingly, i found that my concerns about the key size were in fact quite correct, and am desperately seeing if i can find a MIDI keyboard to controll it, as well as be an extra toy.

Is this easy? would the 'Alesis Micron Synth' do?

I am willing to spend up to around £350, or $720 roughly.

Secondly, is there anything else that i would need for my microkorg/microkorg+MIDI combo.?? Don't worry about what you may consider as obvious things, as being completely new and rather naive i am probably missing something!!!

many thanks!!!

Your microkorg has a MIDI In/Out/Thru. This means you can buy any MIDI controller and control the sounds from your microkorg. If you have another MIDI capable synth, you can use that to control your microkorg as well. The difference is:

A MIDI controller produces no sound. It just attaches to another MIDI device (like your microkorg) and when you press a key, it tells your microkorg to play that sound. You would do everything else on your microkorg except actually "playing" the piano which is what your controller is for. You can usually find MIDI controllers from 61-88keys fairly reasonably priced.

A MIDI synth works the same as the controller but you have the bonus of using the synth sounds as well!! Plus you have all operability of that synth plus your microkorg.

Hope this helps. Microkorg has been used in some pretty serious high end acts. It is usually not a stand alone unit, however. As you learn more you may broaden your equipment list. Trust me though, your unit can do some pretty incredible things :)

Ask a Question