MicroKorg vs. Alesis Micron

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm quite a newbie to keys, my experience has previously only been with strings, so I hope you can help me here. I would really like to get started, playing with a synth, now I just wonder which is the better option for me - the MicroKorg or the Micron? I hope some of you have some experience to share of. Or maybe it's something else entirely I should be looking at? I am also fascinated by the Korg Kaossilator, and I understand that these can be connected. Can you simply connect your synth to a pad? Also, what is more practical to run a synth through, ones computer, for example? Thank you very much in advance.

Reaction score
I have MicroKORG. It's very cool and cheap synthesizer. If I offered between MicroKORG and Yammy MM6, I'd take MicroKORG. Because it is a true synth.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input - I have been asking around, and getting the Alesis Micron was agreed by many to be the best choice, particularly also since I was able to get it cheaper than the MicroKorg. Another question remains, if I buy a Korg Kaossilator pad, will using them together be as simple as connecting them with stereo jacks? The Kaossilator has two Line Out outputs (L and R) and the Micron has two Audio In inputs (L and R again). Do I just take two stereo jack cables and connect them?

Reaction score
Advice can be different. Micron is also good, I've played in the store. The sounds are good. But I don't like the face and the LCD. If you want to mix/connect 2 instruments/more (I mean like keyboard and DJ Tools, not guitar), you can use MIDI Cable.

Melodiclly,
Sparky93

Reaction score
I have a microkorg, and I can say that it certainly has some fat presets.

A good beginners toy.

Hahah... this issue was also explored in the electro-music.com forum and lots of other places! For some reason everyone compares these 2 synths! Maybe because they both cost $399.

I tried them both out in the store and i liked the Alesis Micron a lot better... it has full size keys, and I loved the portamento presets that sounded sweet. The MicroKorg presets were the very cheesiest hip-hop & House type sounds. I just liked the basic "Fat" sound of the Alesis. Also, I liked the 'latch' phrase-capture presets.

A lot of folks have preferred the Micron just because it has so much more options in the way of editing & sound modeling. So I ended up getting a used Micron. I can't say that I actually learned very many of its functions because I just don't have time yet. I decided to focus on learning how to play first.

And for that, I have a Yamaha MM6. Not the best in the "modeling synth" category but just easy to play for a newbie and lots of nice presets.

When I hook them both up to my amp, I get the best of both worlds.

Ask a Question