Mid-range keyboard advice

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to pickup a new keyboard in the ~$1,600 ballpark. I'd like something that has a decent sized library with pretty good sound quality (pianos, strings, and horns primarily). The ability to create new sounds (pads, synths) is something I'm inexperienced with but am wanting to begin doing as well. I don't need a sequencer, but being able to layer multiple patches is important.

I play in two different bands. One plays oldies/motown/funk covers (where I use a lot of strings and horns) and the other band performs more bluesy/current tracks (where custom sounds would come in handy).

I already perform with a Hammond SK1 and am happy with the organ/piano/Epiano sounds.

I've been looking into the Korg Krome and the Roland Juno DS. The Krome seems well equipped to handle custom sounds and the library sounded pretty good. The Roland is quite a bit less expensive and sounded good, but I haven't seen much about sound creation on it.

Does anyone have an opinion on one vs. the other. Maybe thoughts on a more appropriate keyboard?

Thank!

Reaction score
I think you'd probably be fine with either 'board, given your requirements.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the DS but it appears to give great bang for buck, and got good reviews when it came out. Happyrat1, who posts very frequently on here, uses one and is glowing in his praise of it. I'd be highly surprised if he doesn't respond to this thread in the next day or so, but if not I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you PM'd him some specific questions about it.

Whilst I can't speak with authority on the DS, I've been using a Krome 61 pretty much since they first came out and can't imagine life without it. It certainly ticks all the boxes you're looking for, and a few you're not. I've just joined a Neil Diamond tribute so giving the strings and horns a fair workout at the moment - very pleased with what the Krome is delivering, considering it's a keyboard for the budget conscious.

If you are thinking seriously about the Krome, make sure you try out the action before committing to a purchase - it's a bit tricky to get used to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can I suggest that you also check out a Korg Kross 2, it is more of a direct competitor to the Juno compared to the Krome.

Also comparing the Kross v Krome will give you an idea of the differences between two models made via the same manufacturer.

If weight is an issue then the Kross 2 wins it is considerably lighter than the others.

Reaction score
I'd add the Roland fa workstation as well. I looked system all and went for an 07. Prefeted the keys to all the others, and the Va engine is great for learning synthesis.

I wouldn't get the 06 as the Key bedis not as good. Don't know the cost as I'm in the UK, but got mine for 1040 uk pounds. That should equate to under your budget.

Reaction score
Quick check show 1499 at Sweetwater for the 07. Top end of your budget but it's the one if go for.

Reaction score
Piano, strings, horns, synth sound creation, up to about $1600... Are you looking for an 88-key piano-style hammer action (since you have the other in your SK1)? If not, do you care whether it's 61 or 7x keys?

Ask a Question