MIDI Channels for Styles Korg PA 3x

Reaction score
Hi there

I want to convert SMF into Style. Midi channels for styles for Korg PA 3X are 9-16
Can I use the following channels:
09 - Bass
10 - Drums
11- Percussion
12 - 16 Piano, Guitar and others?

Mayo

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the format of Korg styles, but there are programs for sale which let you convert styles from one company's format to another's, such as Yamaha to Korg, or Korg to Roland. And I know there is a forum for people who do such conversions, although I don't have it bookmarked on my new computer and don't recall its name. But my point is that there must be people with a working knowledge of how Korg styles are formatted.

With Yamaha style files there are source channels and destination channels. The source channels are the channels used by the MIDI tracks inside the style file, and all 16 channels can be used. The destination channels are the channels which the 8 parts of the style actually play on. For example, you could use channels 1, 2, and 3 for the bass part, which plays on channel 11, and tell the keyboard (via the configuration settings within the style file) that you want source channel 1 to play on destination channel 11 for major chords, want source channel 2 to play on destination channel 11 for minor 7th chords, and want source channel 3 to play on destination channel 11 for all other chords, or something like that.

Anyway, I don't know whether Korg style files use a similar system of source channels versus destination channels, or which style parts are played over which channels, so I'm not sure how to answer your question, other than to suggest that you might want to check out the Style Works XT Korg software, although it's rather pricey:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I forgot that Korg has a feature like that. Hopefully they let you pick whichever source channels you want to from the original MIDI file, then they handle all of the details about the proper destination channels for the style parts. To be honest, I don't see any other way it could work. And I imagine that putting things in terms of the style parts (drums, bass, etc.)-- if that's how it works-- helps keep the user from having to worry unduly about channels. :)

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I'm making my way -
One needs to put the following midi channels: Bass 9, Drums 10, Percussion 11, Accompaniment 12, 13...
One needs to sort MIDI file with markers.
So far I managed to come to this, but it seems complex with too many CV -s ( chord variations)

In any case, thanks for the assistance.

Reaction score
Kris Nicholson does some good videos on Korg Pa.

Here he creates a new Style but the process is useful in modifying an imported MIDI

Ask a Question