MIDI clock

Reaction score
Hello to everybody!
I'm new here :)
And I have one question.
I use BandLab CakeWalk for recording and editing music. And what I had noticed: During playback MIDI file I can operate the speed of playback using external MIDI clock generator (in my case it is Yamaha PSR). I can simply regulate the "Speed" option on PSR in real time and it will take effect to the speed of playback MIDI file in CakeWalk also in real time. BUT! There will be no changes in "Tempo" map of CakeWalk and "Tempo" window in CakeWalk. Also I can not record these speed changing if I will try to do it using CakeWalk with the same MIDI file.
The question is - is it possible in some way to record in real time the changes of MIDI clock when CakeWalk is set as a Slave (with external MIDI sync) and MIDI clock comes from any external Master MIDI device into my (any) MIDI file?
Maybe some other DAW, not CakeWalk can do it?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ha-ha! Great solution! If you really interested what they say - they said .. Nothing!

Reaction score
hello nakeyer
record in the real time the changes

maybe this can help
look in the " sequencer of your PSR" for a CTRL function.
send this channel out to a channel IN in your DAW.
look in the PSR implementation chart for the CTRL possibility
good luck
mris

Reaction score
Thank you mris! I set all 16 MIDI channels in DAW for recording separately - no new data in MIDI file..
At all - is it possible to record MIDI clock? or it is something that can not be recorded?
No need to look into implementation chart because it WORKS during playback! So - PSR send MIDI clock and DAW receive it!
To say - all filters in DAW are turned to OFF...

Reaction score
hi
there is a difference between clock settings and tempo settings.
your first question " no change in tempo.
clock settings depends if you will use your DAW or KB
tempo changes can be recorded
stay save
mris

Reaction score
So -
1. What is the difference between MIDI Clock and Tempo if they both take effect to the playback speed?
2. Is it impossible to record MIDI Clock changing?
I really can not imagine how the MIDI clock message looks like!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand everything is this discussion... :(

Reaction score
hi
some information about clock and tempo
MIDI clock
is a time resolution, or time base and it indicates the resolution'of MIDI data.
it is measured in ticks or pulses per quarter note ( ppq)
default = 960 = duration of the quarter note and so an eight note has 480 ticks,
other settings are 48,72,96 ppq depending on KB and DAW possibility
Tempo
musical term : beats per time unit e.a. 60 sec ( 1 quarter note :60) info on some score sheets)
andante : 90, moderato 115, allegro 140
midi clock must be set on the Master and kb equal.
ris

Reaction score
Thank you for explaining!
Do I understand right that changing in real time MIDI clock on Master keyboard (or any other MIDI device that produce MIDI clock) return the changing in real time ticks per quarter note on the Slave device (Drum machine, DAW, etc..)?

Reaction score
Hi
If you make a recording into your DAW from the kb (direct play)
With NO sync and default midi clock settings on both devices, your recording is( unless your playing is 100%) out of beat but there is no change in the MIDI clock ( fixed setting in the kb , in the DAW if set then your DAW can be used as master.
I tested on my kb and daw.
While playing back or making a recording you can NOT changes the MIDI clock. You can change the tempo !!!!!
What is the type of your PSR so I can look in the manual for further information.
Why do you need changing the MIDI clock.???
ris

Reaction score
Hi! Thank you for paying much attention to my question.. BUT!
"While playing back or making a recording you can NOT changes the MIDI clock. You can change the tempo !!!!!"
Sorry, but I am not sure about the state of things...
Please look this video - I recorded it for you and please, sorry for my English!
As you can see - I can operate DAW using MIDI clock (what else do I use!!), but can not record it to MIDI file...
Thank you for watching!
Nick.

Reaction score
hi nick
After watching the video, it seems to me multiple settings are not optimal.
I try to explain what are the causes (dont mind your english mine is ot better)
1. output microsoft: the midifile was made for Psr740 and the sound is not that good.
why? microsoft does not recognize the yamaha instrument. When the information on the midifile is not recognized
the microsoft midi output is automatically set to GM.
Solution: load the midi file in your DAW and configure the instruments for your yama type....play back on your kb but local lust be on.
2. you are trying to use another STYLE if you want to do so , first load the file in your kb and make some changes.
3. the tempo changes you see in the sysex are recorded in your DAW but dont affect the midi file.
(this has nothing to do with microsoft.
4 Keep in mind what you record in the DAW you can change in the DAW.
What you load in the DAW (midifiles ) not all can be changed unless you have all the track (header)informations .
anyway much pleasure just like I in playing and recording music
ris

Reaction score
Sorry ris, but seems I don't understand you right...
1. I know that if I will playback midi file which had made for PSR with the sounds of PSR - it will be sound better :) But it was not my task on this video.
2. Which Style is current for the moment - doesn't matter. Playing ANY Style on PSR generates MIDI Clock data and CakeWalk follow this data changing the speed of playback of pre-loaded midi file. Nothing more reaction of PSR's Style.
I turned off local on PSR in order to mute if I would press any key on it. I can turn it On if you like - it would bring nothing interesting to my video. Usually when I connect PSR to CakeWalk I turn Local Off on PRS in order to prevent "doubling" of the sounds... To say - Local On or Off don't take any effect if I will simply playback MIDI file from DAW by PSR - I will hear the same sounds.. MIDI data will come from DAW to PSR as to simple sound module - no matter what is the position of "Local" on it...
3. So - Starting Style (or better to say - Starting playback something on PSR) is ordering PSR to generate MIDI Clock data in order to sync what PSR is playing with external MIDI devices. For example I can connect PSR not to DAW, but to my Drum machine Boss DR-880 with the setting Boss as Slave. MIDI clock will come from PSR and order Boss to playback Drums patterns with the speed according to current value of MIDI clock data coming from PSR.
4. That is the big secret for me - is there in the the World any DAW that can record MIDI clock data. Not only to follow MIDI clock as CakeWalk but also to RECORD this MIDI data?...
5. SYSEX-es that were recorded in my video means nothing for any device except Yamaha PSR. Really don't know there for PSR send this SYSEX-es ouside of PSR - maybe if and DAW has no Tempo map these SYSEX-es can operate the peed (tempo) of PSR.. Just now - don't know.. Yes, they can be saved in MIDI file, but at the same moment Tempo-map also can be saved in MIDI file and PSR will follow the settings in Tempo-map... Another one secret for me :)
Once again - is there in the World any software that can show me on the screen of my notebook the MIDI clock data in real time? :)
Sorry for annoying :)

P.S. "What you load in the DAW (midifiles ) not all can be changed unless you have all the track (header)informations ." - it is very interesting! Can you tell in details - what MIDI data I can not edit using DAW? (not telling about MIDI clock :) )

Have a nice day!
Nick.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I don't think you can record the MIDI clock pulses. I don't think MIDI files can contain MIDI clock messages, in which case they would not be recordable events.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I did a tune once where I adjusted the tempo in cakewalk for the first 8 measures or so in post processing building up the speed gradually one measure at a time.

Check my signature for a song called “Runner in Sector 9.”

Gary;)

Reaction score
I did a tune once where I adjusted the tempo in cakewalk for the first 8 measures or so in post processing building up the speed gradually one measure at a time.

Check my signature for a song called “Runner in Sector 9.”

Gary;)
Do you really think it is something unusual??? Listen, reading your messages it's seems you want to prove to everybody with all your might how cool you are in music questions. But by fact you can only explain the structure of tin can. I really don't need of that!!!

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I don't think you can record the MIDI clock pulses. I don't think MIDI files can contain MIDI clock messages, in which case they would not be recordable events.
Thank you! Seems you are really right... MIDI clock is the real-time MIDI message that can not be recorded into MIDI file...
Regards!
Nick.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you really think it is something unusual??? Listen, reading your messages it's seems you want to prove to everybody with all your might how cool you are in music questions. But by fact you can only explain the structure of tin can. I really don't need of that!!!

Learn to play nice when someone offers a reply junior.

It will take you less time if you don’t need to be a jackass in the future.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Listen N00B.

I've seen your participation in 2 whole threads since you joined last week.

You come across as some greasy haired kid who thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Why the hell don't you go jump in a lake and keep your insults to yourself.

First I point you at THE source for all things Cakewalk and you take huge dump on me because nobody replied instantly to what I am sure was an insulting thread.,

Before that you jump in on someone else's thread about a keyboard purchase and try to derail that thread with more insulting responses.

GET IT THRU YOUR HEAD!!!!Q

NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING!!!!!

We do this out of the goodness of our hearts and nobody gets paid.

So stuff your attitude up your ass and learn to keep a civil tongue in your head.

Gary :mad:

Ask a Question