MIDI Control

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard and a Yamaha PSR-550 keyboard arranger. The PSR-550 is an older model about 20 years old, not the newer S550. I want the 660 to control the rhythm sounds from the 550. I can already play both the rhythm and the instrumental accompianment from the 550 through the speakers of the 660 by means of a simple hook-up phone/output on the 550 to aux in on the 660. But the one thing I cannot do is change the chords when I play the 660. If I set the 550 on a C chord, it stays on a C chord even when I play a different chord on the 660. One solution would be to set the keyboards up so I play the 550 with my left hand --- where I can change the chords as I play --- while playing the 660 with my right hand. I could probably do that but it would be awkward to do so. I am not able to establish MIDI connectivity between the two instruments because the 550 has the older style 5-pin MIDI connection while the 660 has a USB MIDI. I have been unable to find a converter cable. Is there any device that would allow me to put the two keyboards together with the 660 as the master and the 550 as the slave?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Unless you want to connect both of them to a computer, laptop, or tablet and use a program such as a DAW to route the MIDI back and forth between them, what you'll need is a standalone interface device called a "USB MIDI host" or "MIDI USB host." There are a number of different ones on the market, such as the Kenton MIDI USB Host, or the Miditech USB MIDI Host, or the Midiplus USB MIDI Host. There are also two devices from Sevilla Soft, as well as a few models of MIDI interfaces from iConnectivity which have USB hosting capability.

If you're wanting something you can use on the road, a standalone interface would probably be your best bet.

But if you're wanting a simple solution that you'll be using at home, then your computer might be the quickest and least expensive solution, especially if you've already got your keyboards connected to it so you can record them.

Ask a Question