MIDI driver software?

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha PSR-270 digital keyboard, and I am trying to use it as a midi input for a notation software that I have on my laptop, and when try to I enter something in, nothing happens. I have a midi/hdmi cable, a keyboard, and a laptop with Musescore 2.0.2, but is there a driver software that I need for the midi input? If there is, could you get me a link to a page where I can download one? If there isn't, then what am I doing wrong?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The PSR-270 has MIDI In/Out DIN ports but not a USB-to-Host port, so it doesn't require one of Yamaha's USB-MIDI drivers. However, you'll need a cable or adapter to connect the PSR-270's MIDI In/Out to the laptop, and that cable or adapter might require a driver.

You say that you "have a midi/hdmi cable," but I'm not sure what you mean-- is it a MIDI-to-HDMI cable/adapter? I hadn't heard of such a cable before, and nothing is coming up when I search online for one. Usually a MIDI-to-USB cable is used to connect from MIDI DIN ports to a USB port on a computer. Is that what you meant? In any case, if you're using a MIDI-to-whatever cable/adapter then if it requires a driver you would generally need to use a driver that was designed for it.

Note that if you do use a MIDI-to-USB cable, you will most likely need to plug the USB end into a USB 2.0 port on the computer-- from what I've read, a USB 3.0 port probably won't do. USB 3.0 ports are usually a different color (blue) than USB 2.0 ports, or are otherwise labeled in some way to indicate that they're USB 3.0 ports.

Reaction score
I think you are right. USB, not HDMI. Also, you said the USB 2 port is blue. I don't see any blue on my laptop. How else would I know which one? Actually, I'll just guess. I'll let you know if I can't figure anything else out. Another thing: What driver?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
No, USB 3.0 is often blue:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...7EBF3155C602496B8B08FBD1F48FBA1A3&FORM=IQFRBA

So if you don't see any blue then hopefully that means the USB ports are 2.0.

If your MIDI-to-USB cable/adapter requires a driver, hopefully there's one that came with it, or else one available on the manufacturer's web site. But it's possible that it doesn't need a driver.

Be warned that some of the "dirt cheap" MIDI-to-USB cables/adapters that are sold over the internet are (as I understand it) notorious for being of poor quality and unreliability, so it's possible that the cable is faulty. Have you tried to use MIDI-OX or a similar utility to test the connection?

Also, who is the manufacturer of the cable, and which computer operating system are you using?

Reaction score
The brand of the cord I think is miltone. I am using Windows 7 on my Dell laptop. Here is a pic of the cable:
usbtomidi.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You don't need a driver for that. That's a generic USB MIDI Class Compliant Wangdoodle. The drivers are built into Windows already.

Just make sure you connect the OUT connector to the MIDI IN connector and vice versa.

Also make sure your notation software is configured to see the MIDI device.

If it still doesn't work then you own a non functioning $5 Electric bungee cord.

Then buy another one. They're cheap and they often suffer infant mortality but generally only about one in ten are bad out of the box.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I was about to post that you'll want to be sure to connect the MIDI IN plug on the cable to the MIDI OUT port on your keyboard, and MIDI OUT plug to MIDI IN port, when I saw that Gary just posted the same thing. :) Hopefully that's all it is!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
By the way, I forgot to ask-- what notation program are you using? I have a few different ones myself-- mostly free or cheap-- so possibly I or someone else can help with setting that up.

Reaction score
I am using Musescore 2.0.2. By the way, I already knew about the "in" cable to the "out" port and the other way around.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
D'oh! You said MuseScore in your first post, didn't you? Either my memory is shot or my eyes are-- or both. ;) Anyway, I have MuseScore 2, but I haven't tried to use any of my keyboards with it yet, so this gives me an excuse to do so. However, I've got to go out and take care of a few things this afternoon so it won't be until tonight or tomorrow.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You should first verify that the PSR-270 is sending and receiving MIDI.

If you don't already have the Service Manual, you should download it from ElektroTanya:
http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=yamaha psr 270&kategoria=&kat2=all
Don't click any "Download" buttons on the download page, because they're ads and won't download the manual. Instead, wait patiently-- for maybe a minute-- until the first line of text underneath the box changes from "...processing..." to "Get Manual." The words "Get Manual" are the download link for the manual.

Pages 17 and 18 of the Service Manual describe the PSR-270's built-in test program. Turn the keyboard off and connect a MIDI cable from its MIDI Out port to its MIDI In port so it can send MIDI messages to itself. Then hold down a C# Major chord in the second octave (C#2, F2, G#2) while turning on the keyboard to start the test program. Run test 37, "MIDI Chk," to verify that the keyboard can send and receive MIDI.

If the "MIDI Chk" test fails, you may want to verify that "Keyboard Out" (function F82) is turned on-- although it should be on by default when you power up the keyboard. If it looks like the keyboard can't send and receive MIDI, get it checked out and repaired, or else replace it.

If the keyboard passes the "MIDI Chk," test, you should next verify that Windows can tell that it's connected. Turn off the keyboard, connect it to your computer using the MIDI-to-USB cable, and turn on the keyboard.

In Windows, go to "Control Panel," "Hardware and Sound," "Devices and Printers," and see if the device is shown. (I don't know what it will be called.) If you don't see it, right-click on the window's background, select "Device Manager," and see if the device is listed anywhere. (My Axiom 61 keyboard controller shows up under both "Software devices" and "Sound, video and game controllers.")

If Windows can't tell that a MIDI device is connected, you might need to install a driver for the MIDI-to-USB cable-- but I don't think it's supposed to need one, and if it does then the manufacturer should have included drivers with the cable or else should have drivers on their web site. If no such drivers were included and the company has no web site (which would not be a good sign), then the cable is most likely bad and should be replaced with a new MIDI-to-USB cable from a more well-known company that has a web site.

The rest of this post assumes that the keyboard's MIDI is working, the MIDI-to-USB cable is working, and Windows can see the device. I don't have a MIDI-to-USB cable or Windows 7, so I'm using an Axiom 61 keyboard controller without a special driver, and Windows 10.

Start MuseScore and go to "Edit," "Preferences," "Note Input." Make sure "Enable MIDI input" is checked. Go to "I/O" and select your desired "MIDI Input" device with the dropdown field. Keep in mind that it might not be identified as a Yamaha PSR-270. If you have only one MIDI device connected to your computer then it should be selected by default (at least, my Axiom 61 was). Then click "OK."

You might want to close and then restart MuseScore at this point, since the "I/O" tab says that any changes made on that tab require that you restart MuseScore-- although I didn't actually have to restart it.

In the blank score, click on the measure where you want to input notes, which will draw a box around that measure. Then click on the "N" icon that's at the beginning of the note toolbar (underneath the "Create new score" icon). Then you should be able to input notes by pressing keys on your PSR-270. The lengths of the notes will be based on the type of note which is selected in the toolbar, and you may accidentally get multiple notes on the same beat if you play the keys too fast-- I'm not sure, but I think that might happen when you play a new note before releasing the old note (i.e., legato style). Of course, if you want to enter multiple notes at once-- e.g., a chord-- then you can do that.

I hope this helps you to get it working. If not, let me know and we'll go from there.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I was reading an informative exchange of posts on another forum and found out that some MIDI-to-USB adapters simply won't work with 64-bit Windows. So if you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, you might need to buy Yamaha's UX16 interface and install the 64-bit driver for it. (Thank you, Ted Nicoson! :))

Reaction score
Speaking of MIDI, I am trying to find out if version 4 (I think it's the latest) of Novation's Automap software works with Presonus Studio One DAW?
Also, any practical info on their ReMote sl 37 special green themed keyboard. A guy has one I am thinking of buying and would appreciate any feedback as to whether that is a waste or worthwhile product of a few years ago.
Thanks all, and forgive me if I was supposed to post a new thread on this, but I don't quite have the hang of doing that here.
James

Reaction score
Okay, I finally found info on Novation's automap app.
Now I still would like input on their 37 key ReMote MIDI controller. Why did they stop making it? No good? No interest? How about the limited edition of a ghostly green version? What do you all have to say.
Thanks...

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't know. Do they still make models [edit: of the Remote] with other numbers of keys? It seems like 37-key controllers are rarities these days-- the selections are usually 25, 49, 61, and 88. It seems kind of strange to me, because if I had to choose between 25 keys and 37 keys I'd go with 37. But maybe the 37-key models weren't selling as many units as the others?

Reaction score
Thank you sir, for your time and input. I figured it could be interest related, but there are so many factors and possibilities I am not aware of.
James

Ask a Question