Midi help please

Reaction score
:confused: Hi,
I have a Korg PS60 and a Roland PK 6 foot pedal. I am trying to send the bass to the foot pedals while playing piano, strings and such on top. Is this possible? Has anyone accomplished this? Thanks for any replies.

MEK

Reaction score
Hi My-Key,
I don't have any of these gears that you have. On most korg keyboards you should be able to create what they call Zone, region, splits or whatever. Again I can't be exact, but generally you should be able to create a split only for the Bass, and then send that zone only to whatever midi device you have in the chain.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually he doesn't need to split his keyboard. He needs to assign a MIDI channel on the keyboard to the Bass voice and assign the same channel out to the pedalboard and then plug the MIDI out of the pedalboard to the MIDI in of the keyboard.

At least that's my understanding of how it should work.

Gary

Reaction score
Actually he doesn't need to split his keyboard. He needs to assign a MIDI channel on the keyboard to the Bass voice and assign the same channel out to the pedalboard and then plug the MIDI out of the pedalboard to the MIDI in of the keyboard.
At least that's my understanding of how it should work.
Gary

You are right Gary:

I think My-key will use the pedal PK-6 for bass sounds. If so then he has to set the midi channel for SYNTH (there are the bass sounds in PS60) to '2' and the status to (EXT), this is the basic channel of PK-6 in mono-mode.

How to do this you can read around page 30 of the manual:
MIDI Ch. (MIDI Channel) [01...16, Gch]
This specifies the MIDI channel on which the timbre
will transmit and receive data.
When you operate the PS60’s keyboard or controllers,
MIDI messages are transmitted on the Gch. In
addition, each timbre is set so that it will produce
sound when it receives MIDI messages on the Gch
from an external device.
If you change a timbre’s MIDI channel, it will produce
sound when MIDI messages sent from an external
device are received on that channel.

MEK

Reaction score
For a single sound it's easier to do it this way, but for if you're dealing with Combis, splits make the job easier.

Reaction score
hi everyone
i have a question regarding my psr 423 - i am use to playing and transferring midi to my yamaha psr293.
the problem is when i transfer music to my psr423 using midi when i put in learn mode the music is very faint.
how can i fix this problem ? please help ty
patricia

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My suggestion Patricia is to try different velocity curves on your keyboards when you are recording or just hit the keys harder and faster.

Anyway, take a look at your manual on how to set the velocity curves. You should have at least two or three options. Worst case scenario simply turn velocity off when recording and all your notes will sound at max volume.

Either that or else go into a MIDI editor on your computer and change the velocity info for each note. Very VERY tedious...

Gary

Reaction score
My suggestion Patricia is to try different velocity curves on your keyboards when you are recording or just hit the keys harder and faster.

Anyway, take a look at your manual on how to set the velocity curves. You should have at least two or three options. Worst case scenario simply turn velocity off when recording and all your notes will sound at max volume.

Either that or else go into a MIDI e
ditor on your computer and change the velocity info for each note. Very VERY tedious...

Gary
ty gary for the feedback.
i am not really sure what you mean by velocity curves.where would i find that at ?
thank you . I have been trying to figure this new keyboard out since i got it dec 12 -
thank you again patricia .

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A basic MIDI parameter is the velocity of a note. Most MIDI keyboards are what is called "Velocity Sensistive." This means that the faster you press down on a key, the louder the note sounds. A note velocity of 127 is the loudest and 0 is the softest.

Usually the Velocity Sensitivity is adjustable on a keyboard that senses that parameter. This is called the "Velocity Curve." It is usually adjustable in between 3 and 7 steps depending on the make and model of keyboard.

At any rate, look at your manual and try and find any references to the word "velocity" and you will find the necessary button presses to adjust your velocity curves. I'd suggest trying your recordings with the velocity curve set to 0 or OFF. That will play the loudest notes regardless of how fast or hard you press your keys.

I'd also advise you to google MIDI and MIDI velocity if you have further questions about what you are doing. It may not be a bad idea to pick up a book on basic MIDI to get an idea of what's going on as well.

Gary

Reaction score
ok got ya .
ty so much for the infi do greatly appreciate it
i will check into it .
have a good evening
patricia

Ask a Question