Midi help with Windows 10

Reaction score
Hello,

If someone could help me with midi and windows 10, it would be greatly appreciated.

So here is my problem.

I have a Kurzweil PC2R Module that I need to update the OS from 2.0 to 4.0. it sounded simple enough but it is not for my limited knowledge of midi and pc'

I have a PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 Audio Interface connected to my laptop windows 10.

The presonus is connected with the USB cable and the Kurz is connected to the presonus.

Presonus midi out to Kurzweil midi in
Presonus usb to pc usb connection

I open the file pc2orch400.mid ( which is the only file in folder ) and it just plays silent and the kurz is not receiving it.

So my question is how do I tell it to send in midi?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Generally speaking, you can't just "open" a MIDI file in Windows 10 and have it automatically play to a connected instrument. What you need to do is open the MIDI file within some application, as well as select the desired MIDI port that you want to output to, and then you can send the MIDI data to the MIDI port. Perhaps you already have an application that you're using, and simply didn't mention it; if so, what is it? Otherwise, if you aren't using one yet, I can recommend some free ones.

If you just want to play MIDI files to your Kurzweil and not record anything, you could try SynthFont; version 1 is shareware that you can use for free while you evaluate it, but version 2 must be purchased (http://www.synthfont.com/). It's more of a sequencer than a DAW, since you can edit MIDI files or create new ones using the piano roll editor, but you can't record incoming audio or MIDI.

If you'd prefer an actual DAW that you can use to record either audio or MIDI, the basic version of Anvil Studio is free (http://anvilstudio.com/), although some functions will require you to purchase one or more add-on modules.

Another DAW that's free is the "lite" version of PreSonus Studio One (https://shop.presonus.com/products/studio-one-prods/Studio-One-3-Prime). However, Studio One doesn't work with SysEx messages, whereas SynthFont and Anvil Studio do. I'm not clear on what the MIDI file you're trying to send to the Kurzweil has to do with an OS update, but if the MIDI file is the update file, then presumably it contains one or more SysEx messages for doing a bulk send to the Kurzweil, so you'll need an app that doesn't strip the SysEx messages from MIDI files.

Or are you supposed to load the MIDI file into the Kurzweil and "play" it from there?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Michael >>> What he's talking about here is NOT playing a MIDI. He's talking about sending a MIDI Sysex file to update the Firmware on the Kurzweil Rack Module.

Since this is an antique instrument without a USB port his only option is to hook it up to the computer using a MIDI/USB interface, hence the Presonus.

What I'd normally recommend is using a program called MIDIOX to send the Sysex or some dedicated player that sends Sysex without filtering,

Unfortunately I have zero experience with Windows 10 except for doing my best to keep it off of my systems.

My advice is to try MIDIOX with the current setup to see if the update goes thru or else borrow somebody's laptop running Win 7 or XP.

MidiOX can be found at this URL.

http://www.midiox.com/

As always, standard warnings apply. Be very careful not to shut anything off in the middle or lose power as it would likely brick your Kurzweil. :eek:

Wishing you the best of luck and hoping you let us know if it works or not.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
thank you everyone,

Sorry for my late reply, I just found out my company is closing in 3 months and I will be out of a job, so was with the family over the weekend planning for the future.

Thank you so much for you help.

Gary you are absolutely correct, I wish to update firmware. I will try what you suggested.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you're out of a job. Times are tough these days.

As for the firmware, if you're going to test MIDIOX on Windows 10 test it with a regular song MIDI first and see if it plays or not.

I know it will work with Win 7 and Win XP for sure, but I do not allow that M$ Win 10 Caca on my systems :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
but I do not allow that M$ Win 10 Caca on my systems :D

You are a tough stubborn nut to crack!
MS will get ya in the end! I had Vista for many years then things didn't work and I had no choice but upgrade. Win 10 works a treat. I do not know why everyone hangs the S*** on it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ray! You're talking to a die hard Linux user with 20 years of linux only desktops under his belt.

The ONLY reason I have a couple of dual boot Windows systems on my machines is for the occasional firmware upgrade once in a blue moon.

Personally I wouldn't bother wiping my a$$ with a M$ certificate of authenticity :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I think I may have a desk top with windows XP on it, so I will try that.....We have one at work.

Question: If I bring my presonus or a midiman with me as well as the Kurz, do I still want to download the Midi-ox or try setting the Multimedia to midi?

Thanks Again.

Luciano

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Most MIDI sequencers filter out the unrecognized codes in a Sysex firmware so you need a specifically designed utility/player that sends sysex codes like MIDIOX or something similar.

You could find others with Google but MIDIOX is one of the best known.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
MIDIOX works fine with Windows 10, so if that's what you're running then there's no need to turn to an older Windows XP machine. :)

Reaction score
You are a tough stubborn nut to crack!
MS will get ya in the end! I had Vista for many years then things didn't work and I had no choice but upgrade. Win 10 works a treat. I do not know why everyone hangs the S*** on it.
Funny. I've complained each time about having to upgrade since 3.1. I'm at 7 now and once again I have to admit it's even more stable. 4-5 years now and I never had to reinstall windows and I use tons of apps and have it walk my dog and drive me places :) . But once again I'm with Gary on windows 10. I disabled the free update so I don't accidentally click something. :) I do still use windows 3.1 appearance and I tweaked for vista windows mail rather than live mail and a bunch of stuff they did away from W2K, XP, and Vista. The only thing I hated not being able to tweak in W7 is tabbed browing with IE but I just finally defeated it a couple weeks ago. :) Windows 10 has to be like the apocalypse :). I'm with Gary, no way! :D:D:D

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I had to keep up-to-date with the latest version of Windows for my job. When Windows 8 came out, I was the only person in the office who didn't mind not having the Start button any more. I upgraded to Windows 8.1, and then to Windows 10, as soon as they came out. As far as I'm concerned, Windows 10 is great! :)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
My main computer (both at work and at home) are Windows tablets. The one at work is an i3, while at home is an i5. Work, being work, has kept my computer at Wijndows 8.1, while my home computer has been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. As a desktop, both work well. At a tablet, the Windows 10 computer is more user friendly.

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am having no luck sending this OS update to the Kurzweil PC2R

So here is my setup

Laptop with Windows 10 ( I also tried a Laptop with windows XP )

Presonus Audiobox USB

Midiox

The Boot block is 2.0

So I start by pacing the Kurzweil into "Waiting for Midi"

Then I open midiox and open the file pc2rorch400.mid and load it thru the Midi Bar

The Kurz then reads:

SYS3-0 file 1 of 1
segment 1 of 31_

The midiox is playing the file ( the file is 20:41 Sec long ) time is advancing

The Kurz stays with the sys3-0 file 1 of 1 segment 1 0f 31 screen and does not change. I would think that the segment with increment as the file dumped into it.

After the file is finished playing on the midiox, the kurz does not read done as it is supposed to. It stays stuck on the sys3-0 file screen until I shut it off.

I have tried 6 times and all had the same results.

I did purchase a midiman and will try that as an interface between the pc and kurz.

In the meantime can anybody offer up any ideas as to why this is not so cut and dry? Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Thanks for all your help.

Luciano

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Gary,

I downloaded spectre and looking at it, would I use the "upgrade" to upload the midi file to the Kurz. It seems like the only tab that sees a midi file.

Thanks

Ask a Question