Midi help!

Reaction score
i am using a keyboard that only has a few voices - just the basics, piano, organ, etc - the Yamaha cp33 to be exact, and i am wondering if its possible to use midi to essentially add voices, while still playing through the line out on the keyboard?

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. What you can do is get another keyboard or rack module synth/tone generator and control it via MIDI, but it will produce sound on its own line out; there's probably no way to route it back to the CP33. Even for keyboards that do take audio input, that's usually for sampling (recording audio so that you can play it back later), not so much for passing it through to the line out.

So yes, you can add voices by adding another keyboard, but MIDI can't magically allow you to play more at once with the keyboard you have, and certainly can't add voices that aren't already on the keyboard.

Reaction score
If you mean using midi to add additional layers, say for example piano on your cp33 and strings at the same time, then yes this can be done, but the strings would come out of the midi device's line out and the piano would come out of the piano's line out.

A better way would be to forget about the cp33's sounds and buy a sound module of some description, control it with the cp33 through midi and just use its line out. Just about any sound module will have piano, organ sounds etc and allow layers and splits.

Ask a Question