MIDI info on Mellotron 4000D Mini or Rack

Reaction score
Hi Folks, this is my first post here.

I am looking for someone who might have some information on the Mellotron 4000D Mini or Rack units. Specifically, I am looking for MIDI implementation details. Very specifically, I want to know what inputs the device(s) take. Can you change the two sounds, can you change the Mix, Tone, etc via MIDI PC and CC?

I am considering purchasing a 4000D Mini. I know it's expensive. I am willing to pay for the top notch sound and, to be frank, to have the Mellotron name on the back of it. But I can find no information on the web about what MIDI capabilities these units have.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Davey

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
A picture of the M4000D Mini's back panel shows that it does have MIDI THRU/OUT/IN ports, but you're right-- there seems to be no owner's manual, user guide, or other documents available online with information about the MIDI implementation. Your best bet would probably be to send an inquiry to the contact email address they give.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have not had any luck getting a reply from the company. I was hoping someone who has one of these units might have some info.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have not had any luck getting a reply from the company. I was hoping someone who has one of these units might have some info.

I have a Mellotron M4000 Mini. I've had it for several years. I have not used the MIDI functions at all with it, so I can't tell you a lot about those. Sorry, it's just not what I've been interested in since I bought it.

I have had many interactions with Markus (who owns and operates Mellotron) over the years, and it's never simple and easy. Don't get me wrong, he makes great instruments (I also own one of his real mellotrons). But dealing with him via email can be...um...challenging. Believe it or not, there is no official manual for the Mellotron 4000 mini. At my request, Markus sent me a one-page sheet detailing how do some detailed sound tweaking on it. Trust me, you would never in a million years figure it out on your own based on the layout of the instrument. Don't ask me why he operates this way.

Aside from MIDI questions, I'd be happy to answer any other questions about the M4000.

Reaction score
Can you change the two sounds, can you change the Mix, Tone, etc via MIDI PC and CC?

I played one of these for a while (the Mini), and experimented a little with MIDI. From what I remember, the standard MIDI note on/off worked fine. I'm pretty sure you could select a channel using the settings menu. After that, I ran into a bit of a wall. I couldn't get patch changes to work via MIDI, or do anything with the mix control.

There's zero documentation online – it may be possible, but I never found the right magical MIDI incantation to make it happen. I'm considering buying one soon, and if I do I'll try to figure it all out...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I would hope that most MIDI-capable instruments would respond to simple Program Change messages, but it's possible that you must also send specific Bank Select MSB and LSB values before the Program Change if you want it to work. If the (non-existent) documentation doesn't provide a list of Bank Select and Program Change values, there are "only" 16384 different Bank Select MSB/LSB combinations to go through to see which one(s) work. But if you're lucky, you might be able to monitor the outgoing MIDI and see if any messages are being transmitted whenever you switch sounds.

Where things really get dicey is with SysEx and NRPN messages, so hopefully those aren't being used, else you will never be able to figure it out on your own!

Reaction score
it's possible that you must also send specific Bank Select MSB and LSB values before the Program Change if you want it to work.

Good point. I just ordered the M4000D Mini last night – when I've had a chance to throw a bunch of MIDI messages at it (in a couple of weeks) I'll report back.

Reaction score
Now I have to add the M4000D Mini to my want list. It might even jump ahead of the Virus TI2 :)
I think my want list is approaching $15,000.00 USD

Ask a Question