Midi Keyboard and Software for Live Band Performances

Reaction score
Hi, So im already using a microkorg that i play with my band but seeing as i dont have enough money to buy a 2nd synth to use along side my microkorg im thinking of getting a midi keyboard that i can use live onstage with some software on a laptop that i can use to make my own sounds and quickly put the sounds onto the midi keyboard when needed for different songs. What Midi Keyboard would be best for this and what software should i get to make my own sounds that i will be able to put onto the midi keyboard fastly during a live performance using my laptop?

Reaction score
You would probably bottom out on the best way to go by asking your peers in other similar bands.

Reaction score
The price of decent software is probably less than that of a 2nd hand synth that may suit your requirements better. The software you would want would be something like Reason / Kontakt. Which are both quite expensive. You would also need a very, very powerful laptop to run them properly (as in usable number of sounds and polyphony), unless you just want to use it for effects and the odd blip or beep here and there.

In my opinion Laptops on stage are just too unreliable, crashes etc. I prefer hardware synths every time.

Ask a Question