MIDI keyboard controller vs keyboard

Reaction score
Doing some research for a first keyboard. Can more value can be found by buying a MIDI controller and using a PC for sounds and speakers than a complete package keyboard with built in sounds/speakers?

It seems that if you had a low budget, a MIDI keyboard controller plus cheap (or even free) software modeling would be a better jumping off point with the ability to expand to better software while allowing you to begin on a keyboard with nicer action. Not to mention the controller would have better resale for a longer time.

Any of this correct? Any of it make sense?

Reaction score
To make this more clear, if someone said they planned on either buying a used Yamaha P85 or a similarly priced controller and a cheap virtual piano software for the purposes of learning to play, which would you suggest?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It does indeed make sense to save money buying a less expensive MIDI controller and using virtual instruments if all you are planning to do is play it at home and not take it on the road. The money you save not buying a full blown synth can be put towards a better quality controller and the modular VST synths are virtually obsolescence proof.

If I were starting out all over again today my first keyboard would definitely an 88 key Fatar or Novation or Akai controller and then I'd be building up a collection of soft synths with the money I'd have saved.

Or for roughly the same price as the controllers I've mentioned, I'd buy a Casio Privia PX-3 for about $799 and use it as a controller for soft synths as well as having built in GM voices to take on the road should I ever have to gig with it.

Either way it sounds like you're on the right track. Keep reading reviews and watching youtube demos and get to know the market before you commit your funds to a particular option.

Happy New Year,

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I know there are tradeoffs, even more so for a novice, but I think a dedicated controller is the way I want to go.

Reaction score
Professional keyboards come with over 1000 sampled instruments/sounds. Let's say that of the 1000 delivered you only use 50 of them. What would 50 VST's cost you? Plus the cost of a MIDI controller to play them? Plus the laptop to run the VST's? Plus the setup to get them all working? It might not be as cost effective as it always sounds.

Ask a Question