MIDI keyboard controller with multiple keyboard split?

Reaction score
I am thinking about changing my live setup to be module/rack-based (yes - I'm sick of carrying those damn flightcases - and they won't fit easily in the car either :- )... so I am looking for a MIDI keyboard controller I can program to control several modules on different octaves of the keyboard, E.g. I want to control a Novation Bass Station rack with the lowest 1½ octave, a couple of iPad applications with the next 2 octaves and a Nord Electro 2 rack with the remaining keys. Also, it should be able to assign different knobs to control different MIDI parameters on those MIDI channels, so I can modify filters, modulations etc...

I have tried to search for a solution, but I can't seem to find the correct search phrases to give me the results I want.

So - does such a MIDI keyboard controller exist?

Thanks...

/toby

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It might be just as much (if not more) a question of your DAW or other MIDI sequencer software. Yes, many keyboards do have a split function, and some of them let you create three split zones. However, the Acoustica Mixcraft DAW will let you do this even if your MIDI keyboard doesn't do splits! (Other DAWs may be able to do it as well, but I'm not as familiar with them so I can't say for sure.) For example, you can say that the MIDI input from channel 1 will be sent out on channels 1, 2, and 3, with each of those channels being limited to a specific range of notes (e.g., 0 to 47 on channel 1, 48 to 71 on channel 2, and 72 to 127 on channel 3), as well as its own transpose setting, bank select, program change, etc.

Ask a Question