Midi Keyboard Issue!!

Reaction score
Hi, I have a M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard and I am having some issues using it. To begin with, I am not an expert at Midi and may just be a noob at this, however, I have been having an issue receiving any audio from my keyboard. What's strange is that a day or two ago, it was working fine. Additionally, my DAW is picking up most of my signals... except for the my knobs and wheels, just my keys. Separate from the DAW, the keys, knobs, and wheels don't display any CC messages on my keyboard (if that helps picture the problem). How does one configure those settings? Anyways, I guess I have about three things that I need help with!
1. How do I fix the audio output in my DAW so that I can actually hear my Midi Keyboard?
2. Why aren't most of my knobs, buttons, and wheel not displaying any cc messages?
3. Why does my DAW not receive any information from my knobs and wheels (meaning I can't assign them to anything)?
Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Just to be clear, the Axiom is a keyboard controller, and isn't able to generate any audio of its own. So whatever audio you were hearing before was coming from the DAW's virtual instruments or third-party plug-ins, and not from the Axiom itself. You'll need to check the audio settings in the DAW to see what's up.

Which DAW are you using? If I have it, I might be able to help there.

As far as the second part of your question, there may be some setting on the Axiom that got changed. I happen to have an Axiom 61-II, which should be very similar to your Axiom 25.

Do you know which version of the Axiom 25 you have (1st generation, 2nd generation, latest model, etc.)? That might make a difference as far as which manual I should look at.

Reaction score
Just to be clear, the Axiom is a keyboard controller, and isn't able to generate any audio of its own. So whatever audio you were hearing before was coming from the DAW's virtual instruments or third-party plug-ins, and not from the Axiom itself. You'll need to check the audio settings in the DAW to see what's up.

Which DAW are you using? If I have it, I might be able to help there.

As far as the second part of your question, there may be some setting on the Axiom that got changed. I happen to have an Axiom 61-II, which should be very similar to your Axiom 25.

Do you know which version of the Axiom 25 you have (1st generation, 2nd generation, latest model, etc.)? That might make a difference as far as which manual I should look at.

Well, I'm using Presonus Studio One. I understand that it's a keyboard controller and have everything set up as usual. I've put the Axiom in the system as an instrument (specifically as the Axiom 25) and I am using a virtual instrument (ie electric piano or standard drum set). Within every track I make with my Axiom 25, I get a signal, but I can't get any sound. That's why I am a little confused.

As for the generation of my midi keyboard, it's a 1st gen Axiom 25. Once again, thanks!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Okay, my Axiom 61-II is stored away at the moment, so I'm using my Yamaha PSR-E443. Also, I'm using Studio One Prime, which is the free version.

(1) You said you set up the Axiom as an "instrument," but that's what you use for sending MIDI to an external destination, typically an instrument or sound module that you want to use to play back the notes that Studio One is sending it.

Instead, you should set up the Axiom as a "keyboard," which is what you use for receiving MIDI from an external source, typically a MIDI controller or external keyboard instrument whose MIDI output you want to capture and record in Studio One.

If you have an actual instrument as opposed to a controller-- for instance, the Yamaha PSR-E443 or similar model-- then you can set it up twice, once as an "instrument" for receiving MIDI from Studio One, and again as a "keyboard" for sending MIDI to Studio One.

But for a controller you want to set it as a "keyboard." You could also set it up as a "control surface" to use it for controlling things in Studio One, but you need it set up as a "keyboard" if you want to use it to play virtual instruments in Studio One.

(2) When you add a new MIDI (or "instrument") track in Studio One, select the Axiom for the input, and be sure to select the virtual instrument you want to use for the output. With Studio One Prime I don't have a choice-- the only virtual instrument available is the Presence soft synth that comes with Studio One.

When you create the new MIDI (instrument) track, you probably won't hear anything when playing the Axiom until after you've selected a program in the virtual instrument. Click on the track's little keyboard icon ("instrument editor") and select one of the virtual instrument's presets, then you should be able to hear something when you play the Axiom-- unless you need to fix your audio setup in Studio One.

(3) If you turn the knobs and so on, you should be able to see the indicator next to the track's keyboard icon go up and down as it registers the activity (incoming MIDI data). If you don't see that, go back and edit the settings for your Axiom in Studio One-- in particular, make sure you haven't checked any of the boxes in the "filter" section, or you'll be filtering out MIDI messages of that type.

If moving the knobs, sliders, etc. makes the indicator go up and down, but doesn't do anything else, you'll need to use the MIDI learn to assign the desired knobs, faders, etc. to the desired functions.

Let me know whether or not any of this helped you to figure out what's causing the problem and to fix it. If it didn't help, let me know so we can proceed further.

Reaction score
Okay, my Axiom 61-II is stored away at the moment, so I'm using my Yamaha PSR-E443. Also, I'm using Studio One Prime, which is the free version.

(1) You said you set up the Axiom as an "instrument," but that's what you use for sending MIDI to an external destination, typically an instrument or sound module that you want to use to play back the notes that Studio One is sending it.

Instead, you should set up the Axiom as a "keyboard," which is what you use for receiving MIDI from an external source, typically a MIDI controller or external keyboard instrument whose MIDI output you want to capture and record in Studio One.

If you have an actual instrument as opposed to a controller-- for instance, the Yamaha PSR-E443 or similar model-- then you can set it up twice, once as an "instrument" for receiving MIDI from Studio One, and again as a "keyboard" for sending MIDI to Studio One.

But for a controller you want to set it as a "keyboard." You could also set it up as a "control surface" to use it for controlling things in Studio One, but you need it set up as a "keyboard" if you want to use it to play virtual instruments in Studio One.

(2) When you add a new MIDI (or "instrument") track in Studio One, select the Axiom for the input, and be sure to select the virtual instrument you want to use for the output. With Studio One Prime I don't have a choice-- the only virtual instrument available is the Presence soft synth that comes with Studio One.

When you create the new MIDI (instrument) track, you probably won't hear anything when playing the Axiom until after you've selected a program in the virtual instrument. Click on the track's little keyboard icon ("instrument editor") and select one of the virtual instrument's presets, then you should be able to hear something when you play the Axiom-- unless you need to fix your audio setup in Studio One.

(3) If you turn the knobs and so on, you should be able to see the indicator next to the track's keyboard icon go up and down as it registers the activity (incoming MIDI data). If you don't see that, go back and edit the settings for your Axiom in Studio One-- in particular, make sure you haven't checked any of the boxes in the "filter" section, or you'll be filtering out MIDI messages of that type.

If moving the knobs, sliders, etc. makes the indicator go up and down, but doesn't do anything else, you'll need to use the MIDI learn to assign the desired knobs, faders, etc. to the desired functions.

Let me know whether or not any of this helped you to figure out what's causing the problem and to fix it. If it didn't help, let me know so we can proceed further.

Hey, thanks for all your help! Everything is up and running great!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That's the kind of outcome I like to hear about. :)

Ask a Question