MIDI Keyboard Latency in USB Connection

Reaction score
I'm about to buy Nektar Impact LX61+.

Do I come across any Latency (Delay) problem when I connect it to the computer via USB.

Computer
ASUS N552
CPU : Intel 6700HQ
RAM : 16GB
HDD : Samsung 750 EVO
DAW : Cubase 9

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It will depend entirely on what soft synths and VSTi plugins you will be running and how much crap is loaded and resident on your computer.

No one can predict a latency problem before plugging in a MIDI keyboard.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
One factor is the sound card in your computer or interface-- or rather the audio driver. If you don't have a sound card with its own ASIO or similar audio drivers, you can install the free ASIO4ALL driver-- it isn't a true ASIO driver, just an emulation of ASIO, but it helps a lot. I had horrible latency on my computer-- I'd hit a key on my MIDI controller and it would take a very noticeable half second before the computer played the note-- but ASIO4ALL took care of that.

Another factor is the buffer size you're using in your DAW or virtual instruments-- you want a smaller buffer rather than a larger one so the audiio data doesn't get held up waiting for the buffer to be filled.

Ask a Question