Midi keyboard live stage

Reaction score
Hello there! I got probably an easy question for you guys. I just ordered Akai MPK61 for live performances and rehearsals. Could you tell me what do you need in order to connect your midi keyboard with main speakers? Is connecting it by USB with notebook, and then using normal input such as default notebook's soundcard enough? Or do you need some kind of interface or very good sound card in order to have a good live sound?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Because it's a USB only keyboard with no real MIDI ports, it will only work with a computer attached to it. If you got a proper MIDI controller with its own power supply and proper MIDI IN/OUT/THRU ports you could hook up any of a number of professional grade sound modules from all the major keyboard manufacturers and run it without a computer.

I'm pretty iffy on using a computerized virtual synth for a live performance. Too fussy and prone to crashes and too much mousey clicky to control the sounds.

If I were you I'd cancel the order if you still can and start shopping around for a REAL synth inside your budget if you intend to use it at a lot of live gigs.

Reaction score
from what I saw many great bands (f.e. Foster the people) are using midi keyboard, even exactly the same model. I just wanted to know if MIDI KEYBOARD by USB to PC -> From PC to main speakers with small jack-big jack cable is okay.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
PC reliability issues aside, unless you happen to have a particularly noisy soundcard, soundcard speaker out ---> line level amp input is technically OK, though I'd route it thru a mixer to add an extra level of electrical isolation and simplify output levels.

Reaction score
Thank you for an answer man! Actually I bought one of the best notebooks I could with 8gb ram, SSD disc and great processor in order to avoid any problems.

Reaction score
though I'd route it thru a mixer to add an extra level of electrical isolation and simplify output levels.
I would have to completely agree. My advice would be to invest in a little mixer that you could route everything into. Soundcraft Notepad mixers are high quality and pretty affordable.

Reaction score
I have interface Saffire Pro 24DSP, is that also okay? Or it needs to be a typical mixer? Thanks for an answer again. :- )

Reaction score
Ahhh! Good job. :) That interface should work great! I've heard good things about it. The interface is your DI, which will keep your signal strong and clear! For future upgrades, check out MOTU interfaces.

Reaction score
Yeeah.... but to be honest I was kinda hoping that all I need is my laptop and keyboard since I also sing it'll be disaster to set myself up on stage - Mic, vocal effect, laptop stand, laptop, keyboard stand, keyboard and this interface... uhh! :p

Reaction score
Hahaha. Sounding good does take a ton more work! I am also in the same situation as far as setup goes. It is a little difficult to keep on top of singing when you have all that going on. Do you have recordings of your band?

Reaction score
Actually I just recorded our newest song, it'll be on net around tomorrow so I'll give you a link. Do you have any?

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm very excited to hear it. I am in the process of recording, it'll be a while before I have anything. But it'll be posted up here when I do.

Reaction score
Cure, really? Seems like I've never been able to classify our music. Great to hear though! Thanks for comment.

P.S. I love rats :- D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I had a chance to listen to your earlier stuff. Love tears is definitely a departure from your previous style. Like I said, it reminds me a lot of the Cure. I'd have to say keep working in that direction and I'll be watching you on Jools Holland sometime soon :) I also became one of your followers on Soundcloud.

As for the Rat motif in my internet persona, here's the skinny on that. I used to own a ferret and my friends all called him a rat so I bowed to peer pressure and adopted the Happy Rat persona on the net :D :D :D

Reaction score
DUDE! Totally the Cure. I am loving/digging that song. Very well done. Very professional. To me, it's a song that ends to quickly because you are enjoying the listen so much.

How can I obtain this in my iTunes library?

Reaction score
Thank you for good words guys! It means a lot since we worked so hard on this song. I'm afraid we've got no iTunes mate, so all I can do is send you mp3 version if you'll give me your email address.

Ask a Question