Midi Keyboard - Synth interface to avoid laptop usage

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a moderately priced MIDI/USB interface, capable of producing a decent 'piano' sound (and others if possible) when using my SL88 without a laptop?

I'm under the impression that connecting straight to MIDI jack/socket is better than USB connectivity, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Despite some keyboards having MIDI connectivity laptops or PC’s do not have MIDI connectivity unless an interface device is used and the final connection is still via USB.

You will probably be better served seeking out a stand alone digital piano such as a Roland FP, Korg, Yamaha or Casio.

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a moderately priced MIDI/USB interface, capable of producing a decent 'piano' sound (and others if possible) when using my SL88 without a laptop?
Interfaces don't have any sounds, piano or otherwise. What you're looking for is a sound module, Something like this should do the trick...

There used to be tons of sound modules available (often in rack-mount form), bit not that many companies make them anymore. You could also look for a used one, though.

I'm under the impression that connecting straight to MIDI jack/socket is better than USB connectivity, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Most modules ONLY connect through MIDI jacks, and not USB, but there are some that can do USB, including the one I linked to above, so you can use either connection with this one. If you have the choice, the MIDI jack is generally less susceptible to noise/hum, and the connection is more rugged/secure.

If you have an iOS device, that can also be used as a sound module, there are many good MIDI sound apps for it.

Reaction score
Interfaces don't have any sounds, piano or otherwise. What you're looking for is a sound module, Something like this should do the trick...

There used to be tons of sound modules available (often in rack-mount form), bit not that many companies make them anymore. You could also look for a used one, though.

Most modules ONLY connect through MIDI jacks, and not USB, but there are some that can do USB, including the one I linked to above, so you can use either connection with this one. If you have the choice, the MIDI jack is generally less susceptible to noise/hum, and the connection is more rugged/secure.

If you have an iOS device, that can also be used as a sound module, there are many good MIDI sound apps for it.

Interesting.

The V2 module that Scott quotes is currently £389 from Thomann (c$490 US).

Ask a Question