midi keyboard that can play vst software

Reaction score
Hi

I have been looking at the Receptor hardware which can house VST software and dongles, and interface with a midi keyboard for live work.

I have a good range of East West orchestral software, also Kontakt 5 and a range of other good vsi software I use for recording. I would like to be able to install that software into a keyboard so those sounds can be played live.

Is Receptor the only hardware that can do this? What medium sized midi keyboard would work in combination with the hardware?

Can anyone recommend a really good midi keyboard that can play Kontak 5 samples, or equally good string, brass and synthesiser samples?

thanks for your thoughts

Barry

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Aside from the receptor the only other dedicated MIDI hardware I know of which can play software VSTis internally are the Studioblade lines from Music Computing. Definitely not cheap though.

http://musiccomputing.com/

Or you could struggle with loading individual samples into something like a Kronos but that won't really be saving you any money either.

You already own the cheapest solution. Using the receptor and a good MIDI controller keyboard.

Gary

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Barry. Think of today's midi keyboards as computers with customized operating systems. The keyboards OS will not recognize patches/programs outside of their native OS. Only the Studioblade and Receptor can recognize and play VSTI's, and both are somewhat expensive. I own a Receptor, and the interface has a learning curve that many don't want to work with and learn. It takes time. Don

Ask a Question