MIDI Keyboard with adjustable velocity through separate knob/slider

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a MIDI Keyboard (or a software solution) which would allow me to set the velocity using a knob/slider instead of using the pressure applied on a key?

The idea is to be able to precisely set the velocity of a note, like 25% or 50%.

Each note (or group of notes) would be recorded separately with the velocity slider/knob in a different position.

Using the general MIDI volume (or any other CC) would not work since I need the velocity to be different for each note or group of notes.
The velocity data must remain in the Note On MIDI event and not become a CC event.

Editing the velocity "after the fact" in the software is not an option.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

tjw

Reaction score
My old Yamaha CVP-105 allows a setting (tied to a crank knob) which can set a constant velocity and be changed on the fly. I think my Roland W-30 (don't have anymore) did too. I think my little Oxygen does, too.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I believe the Yamaha PSR-E models that I have can do this, and I assume other models and other brands can as well. But it isn't obvious, so let me explain how it works.

If you set the "Touch Response" function to "Fixed," the "Note On" velocities will be hard-coded to whatever value the "Main Volume" is set to. Actually, the models I use have three separate voices and each has its own volume function-- "Main Volume," "Dual Volume," and "Split Volume"-- so you could set the three voices to different fixed velocities if you wanted.

The "Touch Response," "Main Volume," and most of the other function settings can be saved to a Registration, so you could set up different Registrations for different fixed velocity settings. Then you would be able to quickly and easily switch between the different fixed velocities while playing by recalling the appropriate Registration.

Ask a Question