MIDI LEFT and RIGHT hand Scores YAMAHA DGX 660 (Music Sheet)

Reaction score
Hi, when opening MIDI Songs in my new YAMAHA DGX 660 Digital Piano, there is a function (Score Button) to open the Music Sheet (and practice reading it). The problem is that all the information is loaded to the right hand when I import a midi file.

Do you know how can I split the music sheet in left hand and right hand when importing MIDI Song to the Keyboard?
Thanks a lot, I am very enthusiastic about practicing reading music sheets inthis keyboard fuction (what works well for preset songs)

Diego

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Most likely the MIDI file has the notes of both parts combined onto a single channel. I'm not very familiar with all of the options available for displaying scores on a Yamaha keyboard, as none of the models I own include that feature. But the only way to keep the left-hand part and the right-hand part separate from each other is to put them on separate channels. That's most likely something you would need to change within the MIDI file itself:

(1) Copy the data of the original MIDI channel to a second channel, so both channels contain the same data.

(2) Delete selected notes from each channel-- that is, delete the left-hand notes from the channel you want to be the right-hand channel, and delete the right-hand notes from the channel you want to be the left-hand channel.

You can use either a DAW or musical notation software to do this.

The first part is easy, but the second part can be more complicated, since the left-hand part and the right-hand part might not be strictly limited to specific ranges of notes.

For instance, the simplest approach is to divide the two parts at Middle C, such that the right-hand part contains Middle C and all the notes above Middle C, and the left-hand part contains all the notes below Middle C.

But sometimes the right-hand part of a piece of written music will extend below Middle C. Usually they would be shown as part of the treble clef staff using ledger lines below the staff. But if the right-hand part extends far enough into what would normally be the bass clef staff, the notes might be written with an octave indicator-- that is, written one or more octaves higher than they're meant to be played so they can be placed within the treble clef staff, but with a bracket and ottava symbol above or below the notes to indicate that they're to be played one or two octaves higher ("8va" or "15ma"), or one or two octaves lower ("8vb" or "15mb"), than they're written.

The same can be true with the left-hand part-- the notes may extend above Middle C.

In other cases, rather than using the ottava notation, the music will be written with an actual change of clef-- that is, the staff will begin with a treble clef for the right-hand part, but partway through the music a bass clef will be drawn on the treble clef staff, indicating that the notes which follow are to be played as though they were written on a bass clef staff; and then the treble clef will be given at the end of that passage to indicate that the notes are to resume being read as normal for the treble clef staff.

Similarly, the bass clef staff may suddenly change to a treble clef staff for a time, before changing back to a bass clef staff.

And in some instances-- such as when the keyboardist is supposed to play a run of notes which starts at one end of the keyboard and procedes to the other end of the keyboard, alternating between using the left hand and the right hand-- the notes might be written as normal on the grand staff but with brackets above or below the notes indicating that specific groups of notes are meant to be played with either the left hand or right hand for the greatest ease.

A variation of this would be where the keyboardist is supposed to keep playing a left-hand or right-hand part normally, but reach across with the other hand and play some additional notes for a bit-- that is, play with the hands crossed temporarily.

Anyway, after you copy the original channel data to a second channel in a DAW or music notation software, you can delete notes as desired from each of the two channels so that each one contain just the notes you want for the left-hand part and right-hand part.

Reaction score
Thank you Micheal, this is very helpful I will do that! I have the music sheet too, so I will use the music sheet as reference to edit both channels. The piano is new, and I was very interest about using that keyboard feature to train using music sheet reading (with demo songs works pretty fine but I wanted to use it with other songs). Thanks again, please let me know in ase you know about any free software that is useful (I woudn't buy one now since I don't expect to use many features now and I am more interest in playing the piano only) Have a great 2020!

Diego

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you're using a Windows computer, the core program for the Anvil Studio DAW is free, but certain functions are available only as modules which you must purchase. However, the core program includes a musical notation view that can be used for editing each channel. So if the left-hand and right-hand piano parts are combined onto a single channel, you could copy that channel to one of the other channels-- if one isn't being used yet-- and then use the musical notation view to remove the left-hand notes from the right-hand channel, and remove the right-hand notes from the left-hand channel.

Reaction score
Diego

I have been recommending (and personally using) Michael's "Middle C split" method to purchasers of Casio's LK lighted key models for some years now. The right and left hand notes must be on specific and separate MIDI channels, in order for the key lighting to work properly, but most MIDI files, that are downloaded, have all notes on the same channel. No! The Middle C split method will not work for piano concerto's or any work where both hands traverse the keyboard continually above and below Middle C. However it does work very well for most simple songs that are typically used for learning: Stephen Foster songs (Old Folks at Home, etc), fireside singalong songs (Moonlight Bay, Harvest Moon, etc), Celtic ballads and lullabys (Danny Boy, Annie Laurie, Loch Lomond, etc), and cowboy herding songs (Down in the Valley, Home on the Range, etc), but I suppose the ultimate level of acceptable complication is limited only by the time and effort that you are willing to spend rearranging your particular choice of music to work with these modern day electronic systems. I have found that, once you develop a work flow that fits you well, it usually goes much faster and more easily, than you would assume.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I tried using midi programs opening midi files, but found the midi files were already split in 2 chanels (Chanel 1 right hand, chanel 2 left hand). Actually the program (I used MixPad since looked more friendly yo me than Anvil) to open the midi files (I downloaded midi files from musescore.com) asked me if I wanted to combine the tracks into only 1 track and I said no.
So the problem I am having is when opening the midi files in my Yamaha DGX 660. I press the Score bottom of Keyboard and there are all the notes in Treble Clef, and Bass Clef looks empy since bass notes are placed in treble clef.
Is there a way you think I can fix this? Is it related to type 1 and type 0 midi files?
I tried different ways to download midi files from musescore.com and tryied to practice reading music sheets in my new Yamaha DGX 660 but unfortunatly I was not able to do it due to this problem in having all notes together in Treble Clef.
Thanks a lot for the help, very appreciated!!

Diego

Reaction score
Hi Diego!
Late but I hope helpfull for you. I use MixMaster for any changes on MIDI-Side and I am very happy about the solutions.
Also for splitting 1 channel in tzo using a note as splitlevel.
It is also helpful for switching very difficult sequences in another channel to be played by the instrument.

Harald

Reaction score
Thank you very much Harald. The problem I found now is that actually the music was split in 2 channels, but my keyboard shows all notes together in Treble Clef (it show the Bass Cleff in the screen, but it allocates the all in the treble).
Thank you for the support, hopefully some can help me with this Yamaha DGX 660 Issue, not sure if it is realted to the type 1 or type 0 midi or what, but even if splitted in 2 channels is not working.

Ask a Question