Midi modulation control using a sustain pedal?

Reaction score
Ive recently switched from controlling B-3X (ipad) from my MODX, to using an iRig keys. While this has been problematic, i do miss having the mod wheel assinged to a pedal so i can ramp up/down the Leslie.
I need a new contorller and noticed the Nektar Impacts have a feature that allows you to assign midi CC control to the Sustain pedal. This is perfect if it works, but i was wondering if other budget controller's have this feature?

Im not asking if i can add this feature to what i have, i have to replace the Irig as i need a longer keyboard, but if there are other controllers i have more options.

Reaction score
There are plenty of controllers, which fits your criteria will depend upon your budget.

Do take care with the Specs as not all MIDI controller keyboards can be powered from an iPad.

Pre Covid I tried my iPad against a few display units and it was hit and miss which functioned, more miss than hit. So what I am saying is do look for one that has its own power input and hence does noty rely on USB or you may need a powered USB hub.

Reaction score
Thanks Im asking about midi control from the sustain pedal, thats all.

Im well aware of what to look for otherwise. Ive got 3 bus powered controllers already, but none have this one feature

Reaction score
i do miss having the mod wheel assinged to a pedal so i can ramp up/down the Leslie.
I need a new contorller and noticed the Nektar Impacts have a feature that allows you to assign midi CC control to the Sustain pedal. This is perfect if it works
Mod wheel sends a continuous signal with values from 0 to 127. Most sustain pedal implementations (and almost certainly on a budget controller) are only on and off (including on the Impact LX+, if that's the Impact you're talking about). So you may be able to assign a CC, but it will only give you full on and full off, no values in between.

That said, B3X (like most Hammond emulations) is designed to let you use an on/off sustain pedal to toggle rotary speed, and it will do its own transition between the slow and fast speeds so it will not be an instantaneous change, and there are parameters you can set for the speed of the acceleration/deceleration. This is authentic, since a genuine B3 organ works that way... i.e. the switch changes you from slow to fast, and the "interim" sound of the speeding up and slowing down is just a result of the physics of the rotary speaker mechanism, not directly under user control. For that effect from B-3X, you don't need a pedal that can be assigned to mod wheel, all your controller needs is an input for a footswitch (sustain pedal).

(I'm actually kind of surprised that it sounds like you were able to manually control the Leslie speed with the mod wheel on B-3X, though it's nothing I ever looked into. Any chance it was only using the mod wheel to switch between fast and slow anyway? Or were you actually able to "hold" the speed at spots in between?)

You should be able to find a controller that does what you want, regardless. But if you want to add any kind of definable pedal to an iPad-based system, regardless of your controller, you can also look at adding an audiofront MIDI Expression pedal adapter. https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

Reaction score
Thanks, i never said i contol the speed, I just use the mod wheel (and therefor a footswtich connected to the MODX) to go from slow to Fast. As i said, ramping up and down.
Im not looking to add anything or buy anything other than what ive asked about in my first post. Im well aware of the options, but thats not what this thread is about. As ive said, im not asking about adding to what i have other than a new controller.

The Nektar Impact controllers (looking at the GX49 can do this, im just aksing if any other controllers can have the Sustain pedal send out Midi CC’s, as i dont see this advertised on the ones ive looked at.

Ive got B-3X working as i want it (been using it for a few months), but its now time to give it its own keyboard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, now you've totally confused me. If you're not looking to control the speed but merely switch from slow to fast, why do you need to define a footswitch to act as a mod wheel? Just let it be a sustain pedal (which tons of controllers support), and let B-3X switch speeds using that (set that function to respond to CC 64).

Reaction score
Okay, now you've totally confused me. If you're not looking to control the speed but merely switch from slow to fast, why do you need to define a footswitch to act as a mod wheel? Just let it be a sustain pedal (which tons of controllers support), and let B-3X switch speeds using that (set that function to respond to CC 64).
Becsuse ill lose the mod wheel. I need the Sustain pedal on CC01. I dont always want to use the pedal.

Reaction score
Ah.

Another way to solve that could be to use an app (Keystage or Midiflow are two that might do it), which would recognize the CC64 from a sustain pedal, and convert it to CC01 (mod wheel) on its way to B3X. That could be a useful approach if you happen across a controller you really prefer for other reasons, but it doesn't have that specific feature you're looking for, since it could give you another way to skin that cat, and so open up more options for you.

Reaction score
Thanks. I have Keystage but it doesnt fit in to my way of working. I prefer to use the apps standalone (i also use iM1)
I also have the occaisoaly stuck notes and disappearing midi input, so sometiems need to force quite the app and re start it quickly. Using Keystage makes this a bit more long winded.
I need to get a new controller anyway, and have played a GX49 and quite liked it, so ill probably get that, but was just wondering if many other controllers in this price range or slightly higher have this as well.

Ask a Question