MIDI newbie bought a GSI DMC-122

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not a MIDI guy at all, although I work with software quite a bit at the day job, so I'm not afraid to learn new software. I recently upgraded from a Nord Electro 3 to a DMC-122/Gemini combo, to play splits and for the awesome B3 emulation.

Love it so far, and once I got the hang of writing down potentiometer and button numbers next to the PC numbers on my cheat sheet, it was pretty easy to assign a lot of what I wanted. Assigned the EP effects to drawbars, reassigned some of the stuff I didn't like.

I'm left wondering a few things. For one, there's just not enough potentiometers to control EQ for both the upper and lower channels. You can set the drawbars to control each channel, but obviously I don't want to load them with stuff like EQ when I want to use them to play B3. Since EQ is so important when playing live, I'd really like to be able to modify it for presets and save them on the lower manual. I could assign EQ on/off to a button, but I'd lose a preset button.

Also not sure if there's a way I can save changes to the presets on-the-fly or if I need to open the Gemini editor, which is obviously not going to happen mid-song.

Right now I can have the controls I want on the upper manual or the lower or both at the same time, but I can't figure out whether I can just change the controls to work on one OR the other, not both at once or either. There's no obvious program change number for this, but I think there MUST be a way to either turn the encoder or enable a button to change all my controls to work on the lower channel and then press the button/turn the encoder again to go back to the upper channel.

The manual says this about modifying the upper and lower channel:

The last two types are “Upper Modifier” and “Lower Modifier”. In this case, buttons don't send any MIDI message but serve to modify the MIDI Channel and/or the MIDI port of the upper or the lower keyboard. This function is particularly useful when it is necessary to switch between two cascaded MIDI devices responding on different channels. At the simple press of a button a keyboard is immediately reconfigured to send to a new channel and/or to a different port.

Not sure if that is what I need at all. It looks like I could also use the encoder to send a program change, which would be useful, since it hasn't worked well as a potentiometer, probably because it just turns and turns rather than reaching a maximum value by default.

When Type is set to Send Program Change, the encoder sends MIDI Program Change events ranging from a given minimum value to a maximum value on the selected bank. When a limit is reached, the value is not incremented / decremented even though the rotation continues.

I'm definitely a MIDI newbie, and I haven't tried any software meant to ease this like MIDI Designer. I suuuuuspect there's a way to design this program change but I don't know what it is.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Wow! Talk about a controller! :)

I haven't scanned the manual yet, but the product page says you can store up to 32 complete setups, so surely you must be able to recall any of those 32 setups while playing without needing to go into the editor software?

Also, I see from the photo of the rear that you can connect two foot controllers as well as a sustain pedal, so perhaps you could connect two foot controllers and program them to control the EQ for the upper and lower manuals?

As I said, I haven't glanced at the manual yet, so at the moment I'm just tossing around random thoughts. :)

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got the foot controllers connected, but they're a half-moon switch and an expression for wah.

I've thought of just connecting another controller that is a bank of knobs, so I don't have to be exasperated over this, but I got this rig partially because I was tired of connecting my MIDI drawbars to the Electro 3 and wanted to have freedom with drawbars!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
When I looked at the manual for the editor software, first it mentioned being able to recall a saved setup with the editor, but later it appeared to mention being able to do that from the panel (i.e., without needing to do it in the editor)— but it was just a short mention with no illustrations or examples, so I’m not sure about that.

Anyway, I would think that you could save a setup where a couple of controllers are set to control the EQ for the upper and lower manuals. Then you could use the remaining setups as desired, switch to the setup that’s set for adjusting the EQ, adjust the EQ as desired, and switch back to whatever other setups you want to use during your performances. But it’s difficult to say for sure without being able to try it myself. I would recommend saving a few sample setups just to see if— and how easily and quickly— you can switch between them without having to go into the editor. Experiment a bit to see what it lets you do.

Reaction score
Yeah, I can switch setups, just not mid-song--it's a multiple-button process. I think that I can do this if I use Snapshots instead, I just can't quite figure out the difference between saving snapshots and saving setups.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm not sure what a snapshot is, either, but it sounds intriguing. I'll have to look at the manual again just to satisfy my curiosity! If I figure anything out, I'll let you know. :)

Reaction score
There is a highly active group that can help you. Sign up for this group then post your question there. The developer also actively participates in the forum discussions. Not many places I know where the actual owner of the company ( who is also the software developer) actively participates.

Reaction score
Hi...I'm sure the module could work with any MIDI-compatible keyboard or DP. For recording, chances are you'd have the module plugged into the controller, then line out from the controller to the computer to record using a DAW. You may need an audio interface to hook up to the computer - depending on what equipment you have - which may use USB.

Ask a Question