Midi note/Hung note troubleshooting

Reaction score
Prefacing: I have done a search and cannot find what I am looking for, but if I missed it and you want to respond with a link, thank you.

I am using this rig for live performance:

HP Laptop
Controller: Arturia Keylab Essential 61 MKII
Software: Arturia Analog Lab
Interface: Lexicon Alpha

The controller and interface are usb to the computer.

The only other application running on the computer is a pdf reader for charts.

I am only using analog synth sounds, but some are layered.

As the title suggests, I am getting a bunch of hung notes. I am trying to trouble shoot this, but not sure where to start. I have reached out to Arturia, but so far their remedies have not worked. There is also a little language barrier and I can tell some things are getting lost in translation. So I turning here in hopes of finding a possible process for hunting, and more specifically what I am hunting for that causes this. I know a midi note off command is not making it through. Are there apps that let you record the midi commands? I think Arturia is thinking that the CPU demand could be the issue, but I just don't want to believe that. There is not much running. Would a two synth layered sound task the cpu great enough to cause this? It is to the point of being unusable. Maybe I should rephrase a question to ask what could cause this?

Layered sounds?
Too many notes at once?
A combo of both?

Any help or, as I mentioned, link is welcome. I have no problem putting in the time, but what I am seeing mostly is trouble shooting hung notes through a host using VSTs. This is not that. Analog lab is a standalone application. I can make set lists within it. Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Google for and download a app called MIDIOX.

This will allow you to view the MIDI Stream in real time as it happens.

Also Download and install ASIO4ALL ASIO MIDI Driver which tends to fix a lot of MIDI latency problems with Windows.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Also how much RAM are you running in your laptop? Nowadays I'd recommend 12 Gigs minimum to smoothly run a couple of VST synths.

The more RAM you throw at a VST the better it will run.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
First thank you for the responses.
I am running 12 gigs of ram. i5 dual core processor.

"This will allow you to view the MIDI Stream in real time as it happens.

Also Download and install ASIO4ALL ASIO MIDI Driver which tends to fix a lot of MIDI latency problems with Windows. "

If I see the Midi stream, what am I looking for? I know by the audio that a midi note off did not happen. What will this tell me and what do I do with the information?
Also I am using a driver specifically for my interface. I have the Asio4all driver, but why would I use it if I have a specific driver? Is it better? I thought is was for interfaces that are class compliant, but had no driver. Trying to make sense of all of this.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The RAM and CPU sound OK. Arturia only started shipping their crappy MIDI driver a few months ago. Before that the Keylab Essential was a perfectly happy MIDI USB Class Compliant device. :p

ASIO4ALL is a common solution to MIDI latency problems.

What are you using the Lexicon Interface for? Aren't you directly plugging in the Keylab into the USB port of your Laptop?

If you're using the interface as a USB sound card try hooking up your speakers directly to the laptop's built in soundcard.

Personally I own a Keylab Essential 49 and found their bundled Analog Lab software too fussy and buggy to use.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question