MIDI Out of Yamaha P90 - MIDI In to Kurzweil SP6

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a Kurzweil SP6 and a Yamaha P90 side-by-side. I'm running MIDI out of the P90 and into the SP6. I would like to be able to choose a program (an instrument voice) on the SP6 that I can assign to the P90, and then switch MIDI channels so that I can play a separate instrument on the SP6.

Here's the problem. When I switch channels on the SP6, the voicing changes on the P90. So if, let's say, I choose channel 1 as the transmitting MIDI channel in the P90, and select a Hammond B3 on channel 1 on the SP6, you'd think I could then switch to channel 2 on the SP6 and choose a new program without it influencing the settings in channel 1, but as soon as I choose another program, anything played on the P90 sounds like a generic organ (or sometimes an electric piano, or other completely different instrument).

I've tried changing the transmit/receive MIDI channels to channel 2, but then the same thing happens when I go to channel 1 on the SP6.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Brandon

Reaction score
I'm running MIDI out of the P90 and into the SP6...Here's the problem. When I switch channels on the SP6, the voicing changes on the P90. So if, let's say, I choose channel 1 as the transmitting MIDI channel in the P90, and select a Hammond B3 on channel 1 on the SP6, you'd think I could then switch to channel 2 on the SP6 and choose a new program without it influencing the settings in channel 1, but as soon as I choose another program, anything played on the P90 sounds like a generic organ (or sometimes an electric piano, or other completely different instrument).
If changing something on the SP6 causes a change to what P90 sound is being played from the P90, then it sounds like you are running MIDI Out of the SP6 and into the P90 (either instead of or in addition to what you said you were doing, running MIDI out of the P90 and into the SP6), so check your cabling.

If changing something on the SP6 causes a change to what SP6 sound is being played from the P90 on something OTHER than the P90 specified MIDI transmit channel (e.g. you have the P90 to transmit on channel 1, but changing the sound of channel 2 on the SP6 is changing the SP6 sound you hear when playing the P90), make sure you don't have Dual or Split engaged on the P90. When you do, the P90 transmits not only on the channel you specified, but also on the channel that is one higher.

Maybe one of those two points will get you on the right track.

Reaction score
If changing something on the SP6 causes a change to what P90 sound is being played from the P90, then it sounds like you are running MIDI Out of the SP6 and into the P90 (either instead of or in addition to what you said you were doing, running MIDI out of the P90 and into the SP6), so check your cabling.

If changing something on the SP6 causes a change to what SP6 sound is being played from the P90 on something OTHER than the P90 specified MIDI transmit channel (e.g. you have the P90 to transmit on channel 1, but changing the sound of channel 2 on the SP6 is changing the SP6 sound you hear when playing the P90), make sure you don't have Dual or Split engaged on the P90. When you do, the P90 transmits not only on the channel you specified, but also on the channel that is one higher.

Maybe one of those two points will get you on the right track.
My cable arrangement is:

MIDI Out of the P90
MIDI In to the SP6
Line 1 out of the SP6 into the PA system

Am I correct in my understanding that that is the correct set up if I want to choose a program on the SP6 that does not exist on the P90, so that when I play the P90, I hear that instrument?

Dual and Split are not engaged.

Thanks for your help,
Brandon

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Cabling looks fine. What channels are the synths set to? SP6 has to receive on the same MIDI channel being sent by the Yamaha.

Also, sometimes MIDI functions have to enabled individually in Setup Screens.

That should get you going.

PS. NEVER, overlook the possibility of a bad MIDI cable gumming up the works.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question