MIDI sequencer as Juke machine?

Reaction score
I'm an older musician (69, a former cocktail pianist) getting back into MIDI after years away. Is anyone out there using their PC sequencer as a juke machine? Since my hands are almost useless for decent playing anymore, I've set up my home studio as my private band/orchestra to play back midi files for jazz, pop and classical songs. Using Anvil Studio, which allows use of long midi playlists, I've collected the best free downloads across the internet that I've found and play back hours of jazz trios, jazz bands, concerto piano and full classical orchestral sequences. I'm using a Suzuki GP-3, a Suzuki CTP-88, Yamaha TG-300 and Roland SC-88 Pro for keyboards/modules on playback. I often think I'm the only "mad musician" out there using the technology this way. But there's got to be other technie nerds out there. If you've pursued this, please let me know. After playing in big stage bands, having control of my own band without the grief is certainly appealing. But after a year of covid isolation, I often think I'm the only nut out there doing this. But it's an area of MIDI that I don't seen discussed on the forums.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you're using Anvil Studio, did you purchase the Pro-Mix addon module that lets you sequence different tracks to different instruments at the same time, or are you sequencing to just one instrument at a time?

The reason I ask is because the free SynthFont1 program lets you sequence different tracks to different instruments at the same time without needing to buy an addon module. It isn't a DAW, because it doesn't let you record tracks the way a DAW does, but it does let you create new tracks using a piano roll editor, or edit existing tracks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have thousands of MID files I've picked up over the years and every once in a while I cue them up using this program.

It runs under Windows as well as under Linux using the wine emulator.

Sometimes it makes a nice break from listening to MP3's.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If you're using Anvil Studio, did you purchase the Pro-Mix addon module that lets you sequence different tracks to different instruments at the same time, or are you sequencing to just one instrument at a time?

The reason I ask is because the free SynthFont1 program lets you sequence different tracks to different instruments at the same time without needing to buy an addon module. It isn't a DAW, because it doesn't let you record tracks the way a DAW does, but it does let you create new tracks using a piano roll editor, or edit existing tracks.
I haven't yet bought the add-on for Anvil. Free is very nice for now. I'm running everything through a MOTU micro express, all on Channel 1 to all of my modules at the same time, but thanks for the tip. I haven't even attempted any midi rerouting through the MOTU yet which is another option to do the same thing. I recently bought a copy of Komplete 7 as well so I'm still dipping into various sequencer options. Eventually I'm aiming to build a DAW workstation around that package. I'm dipping back into this technology after some 25 years away so it's taken me a couple of years to catch back up. Thankfully, my brain hasn't rotted away as fast as my hands. But it's still a bitch to climb the learning ladder again. Hopefully, I can get some more tips through this forum. This is a great start.

Reaction score
I have thousands of MID files I've picked up over the years and every once in a while I cue them up using this program.

It runs under Windows as well as under Linux using the wine emulator.

Sometimes it makes a nice break from listening to MP3's.

Gary ;)
I would recommend Anvil Studio for its playlist function. I tried finding a similar option in Cakewalk and other sequencers and couldn't find any that work as well or offer it at all.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The nice thing about the player I mentioned is that it is assignable to any MIDI instrument as well as using Soundfonts if you don't feel like firing up the keyboard. It's a simple standalone program, just one exe. It doesn't load you up with ads or addons.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
SynthFont1 is also a great MIDI sequencer like that-- no ads, no add-on modules. It was my first "DAW" back when I first started getting into "computer music" and using a computer with a keyboard, until I learned a bit more and realized that it isn't a DAW despite any visual similarities it might have to DAWs.

Ask a Question