Midi To Usb Cable

Reaction score
Hello. :)

I am a able to record midi threw my tascam 122L having my korg X3's midi out to the tascams midi in. And the tascam hooked up to my computer.

If i want to run those midi signals to another computer threw the midi out or straight from the korgs midi out would the second computer recognize the midi signals without an interface hooked up to that second computer?

Here is a link to a cable and does this one seem fine?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AGPtek-U...port-Windows-Win-XP-Win-Vista-Mac-OS/49573230

Thank you very much, John

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
An interface cable like that should work, although some people have had reliability issues with inexpensive cables, and ended up having to buy a more expensive cable-- e.g., Alesis, Roland, and Yamaha make them, but they can cost as much as $50.

I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. Do you want to connect the X3 to two computers at the same time, using the Tascam to connect to one and the cable to connect to the other? Or are you wanting to use the cable instead of the Tascam? If you want to connect to two computers at once, you'll either need a MIDI splitter so you can split the X3's MIDI Out and send it to both the Tascam and the cable, or get an interface that can transmit the MIDI on two separate USB connections-- e.g., something from iConnectivity-- and then connect that interface to both computers.

Also, are you sending anything back to the X3? If you want to be able to have two computers sending data to the X3 at the same time, you'll need a MIDI merger as well, or else an interface such as mentioned above.

Reaction score
Thank you for replying and sorry for the late reply. The DAW i was using for midi doesnt work anymore. So i gave up on the idea for now.

Thanks again. :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Which DAW were you using, and why did it stop working? Maybe it's fixable? Or maybe it's time to look for a different DAW. :( Fortunately, there are some pretty good free options available. :)

Reaction score
Which DAW were you using, and why did it stop working? Maybe it's fixable? Or maybe it's time to look for a different DAW. :( Fortunately, there are some pretty good free options available. :)
It was traction 5. No clue why it stopped working. I emailed them back and forth a few times. The result being I am using audacity again. :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That's interesting. I have Tracktion T5 as well (and T4, T6, and T7), although I haven't used them very much yet, mainly due to lack of buckling down to get the hang of their UIs. I don't think T5 is listed as being compatible with Windows 10, although I was able to run it under Windows 10 the last time I used it. So if you're using Windows 10, I'm thinking that perhaps one of the Windows 10 updates changed something that broke T5? I'll have to crank up my copy of T5 when I've got some free time to see whether it's still working. What are the symptoms that I should be looking for?

Reaction score
Traction 5 was very nice but the silly program wont upon up. I am finding audacity usable. I have windows 7 and traction worked for a couple years.

Here is something i remember. After this happened i decided to give it time to open up. And it did but it took 33 minutes about. That happened twice taking over half an hour to open or show up. Then i believe either it stopped doing that or i lost patience and decided i was not going to wait a half hour anymore. I uninstalled. reeinstalled,. redownloaded and nothing.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Hmm, okay. It almost sounds like it was searching for something-- a connection to something, or some file on the computer-- before displaying its normal screen. The only time I've experienced that kind of time delay when using a computer was when botting up the computer and it was trying to connect to a printer that wasn't there anymore, or to a mapped network drive that wasn't available, or something like that. But I can't imagine what the program might have been looking for that it couldn't find-- if that's what was happening. The only thing I know to do is check the Event log to see if any errors or warnings were logged while the program was trying to start up.

Have you tried PreSonus Studio One? It doesn't support SysEx messages, but if you're using Audacity then you must not be using MIDI anyway. Studio One Prime is free to use, so there's no cost to try it and no expiration.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I blame my pc. For example when i am rendering an image made with a 3d program my cpu usage goes to 100 percent and it crashes when using 4 threads or cpu. I turn it down to 1 thread and it survives barely. . But that shouldnt effect this. My pc never crashed using that program. Or any non 3r art program. I am ok with audacity instead of traction for now.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I blame my pc. For example when i am rendering an image made with a 3d program my cpu usage goes to 100 percent and it crashes when using 4 threads or cpu. I turn it down to 1 thread and it survives barely.

How much RAM do you have? (Yes, if you run out of RAM it will go to virtual memory and use free space on your hard drive. But the hard drive is much slower, and this will affect your computer.) The good news is that RAM is cheap. The easiest way to find out if you've got too little RAM is to look at the number of page faults.

Also, when was the last time you ran a defrag on your hard drive? (As you use your hard drive, files get moved around. If there isn't enough contiguous space for a file, it gets split into pieces. Eventually a file is located at a bunch of different places on the hard drive. The head has to physically move all over the hard drive to read a file, which will also slow down the computer impressively.) If you start a defrag and the drive is heavily fragmented, you may wish to start it before going to bed. It may take a while.

If you've got an SSD rather than a hard drive, do NOT defrag your drive.

Reaction score
I just solved the issue. I downloaded presonus to see if that would work. When i went to open up the software after installing it and restarting my computer i had gotten an error message. I had never seen this before and wrote it down. It said api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll was missing. It isn't no more and presonus works. I want to learn presonus before i reinstall traction 5. Presonus looks better somehow and thanks to you all for replying. :)

fixing my daw became more important than midi i guess.

Reaction score
I have a question regarding DAW's in general.

I do not know if this is appropriate here or not. Or will be noticed.

Some DAW's, like presonus, seem to cut off sound from other sources on the computer. Like my drum machine program and youtube. Traction 5 did not do this nor does audacity. Is there a way around that?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I think some DAWs take exclusive access of the audio device, while others do not. There may be an option in the DAW's audio settings to control which behavior you want it to use.

You might not want the DAW's audio output to be unexpectedly interrupted by sounds from the operating system or any programs running in the background.

Or you may want the DAW to share access to the audio device so you can watch a training video in your browser while you've got the DAW open, or something like that.

EDIT: in the "Audio Setup" for Studio One, on the "Audio Device" tab, is a checkbox for "Release audio device in background." According to the help documentation,
Release Audio Device in Background is disabled by default. When engaged, the currently used audio device is made available to other applications when Studio One is minimized.

upload_2017-7-16_16-25-21.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think some DAWs take exclusive access of the audio device, while others do not. There may be an option in the DAW's audio settings to control which behavior you want it to use.

You might not want the DAW's audio output to be unexpectedly interrupted by sounds from the operating system or any programs running in the background.

Or you may want the DAW to share access to the audio device so you can watch a training video in your browser while you've got the DAW open, or something like that.

I see no way of doing this with this particular software and my interface. When i use presonus i get a message on my computer telling me of some aiso driver. I think that is interfering with the other sound.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
What audio interface are you using? Does it have an ASIO driver? If so, that's probably what you should choose as your audio device.

I use the free ASIO4ALL driver, which is an emulation of ASIO, not the real thing. When I start my DAWs I get a message from my computer telling me that ASIO4ALL v2 has been started, and the sample rate and bit depth used.

Reaction score
Thank you. i now have sound from youtube with presonus open. . But not at the same time. When i hit play on presonus, youtube stops. And then when i go start up youtube and unpause it the presonus stops making sound. I will have to go back to audacity or work around this. :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
With some of my DAWs, I can't even see a YouTube video if I have the DAW open-- I just get an image of static and a message that the video isn't available or something like that. Likewise if I try to listen to an MP3 file in Windows Media Player, or watch lecture videos on the Coursera web site. But if I close the DAW and try again, I can watch the videos or listen to the MP3s. It's pretty common for a DAW to grab exclusive control of the audio device. The option I mentioned in Studio One will let other programs access the audio device, but only if Studio One isn't the active window.

Reaction score
With some of my DAWs, I can't even see a YouTube video if I have the DAW open-- I just get an image of static and a message that the video isn't available or something like that. Likewise if I try to listen to an MP3 file in Windows Media Player, or watch lecture videos on the Coursera web site. But if I close the DAW and try again, I can watch the videos or listen to the MP3s. It's pretty common for a DAW to grab exclusive control of the audio device. The option I mentioned in Studio One will let other programs access the audio device, but only if Studio One isn't the active window.
Thank you very much for your help in all of this. :)

Ask a Question