Midi two keyboards

Reaction score
Hi
I'm a long time keyboard player but just starting MIDI keyboarding.

I have a kkersweil pc4 midi to a Yamaha YC reface. It has drawbars and switches for Reverb tremolo chorus and such.
I have my midi out of the Kurzweil into the YC keyboard. I was expecting to use the Kurzweil to obtain the sound engine and all the physical controllers usage on my Kurzweil.
Do you know what I need to do to make that happen.
Thank you

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If the PC4 is anytthing like my PC3K , the first thing you have to do is enable the MIDI OUT in global settings, then you'll have to create a Setup mapping the controls of the PC4 to what the Yamaha expects to see.

Read your manual and refer to the Kurzweil Knowledgebase for the nuts and bolts of how to do all this.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If the PC4 is anytthing like my PC3K , the first thing you have to do is enable the MIDI OUT in global settings, then you'll have to create a Setup mapping the controls of the PC4 to what the Yamaha expects to see.

Read your manual and refer to the Kurzweil Knowledgebase for the nuts and bolts of how to do all this.

Gary ;)
Thanks for the response happyrat1.
I've read thru the manual several times and nothing really grabbed my attention to get me started. I will carefully review it again.
I read a post answered by the moderator to another member and it did help me with more understanding of getting started with midi.
I've been to the kurzweil site knowledge base too. I realize this is going to get complicated. I will need step-by-step instructions for what I need to do to play my YC Reface keyboard on my Kurzweil keyboard with full manual controls

Reaction score
As a Kurzweil owner and an organ freak I'm not sure why you aren't going the other way around. The Kurzweil organ and leslie are superior to any Yamaha organ product. Just my two cents.

Reaction score
The YC reface keyboard is a mini keyboard I will have the full range of keys for my use on the pc4 Kurzweil.
I also have full drawbars on the Kurzweil, percussion, Reverb and such

Reaction score
Reaction score
No. I want to use my kerzweil as a controller for the YC reface keyboard
So when I use my draw bars on my kerswell the changes are made when I add Reverb or chorus on my kerswell the effects would take place in other words I want full physical controllers to work on the Kurzweil controlling the YC reface
I'm trying to explain the best I can I am a beginner

Reaction score
Usually boards default to sending and receiving globally on MIDI channel 1, so MIDI OUT of PC4 to MIDI IN of Reface should almost certainly instantly get you the ability to play the Reface from the Kurzweil's keys. Though the PC4 has a hammer action which, while full size, is not so desirable for organ playing.

If you want the 9 sliders on the PC4 to duplicate the functions of the 9 sliders on the Reface, you'll have to check the Reface documentation to find out what MIDI CC numbers Yamaha has associated with those 9 sliders, and then you would create a Program on the Kurzweil where you assign its 9 sliders to those same 9 CC numbers. Similarly, once you determine what CC number the Reface uses for reverb amount, chorus depth, whatever, you can assign those numbers to knobs within the same Kurzweil program. Then whenever you call up that Kurzweil program, its sliders and knobs will control the Reface the way you want.

Unfortunately, the Refacte manual is cryptic. The information you need should be on page 19 of https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/794817/reface_en_dl_b0.pdf
but while it does tell you that it uses CC numbers 18, 19, 77, 79, 80, 91, and 102 through 113, it doesn't tell you which number does what. So unless you could find better documentation (or perhaps contact Yamaha tech support), it seems like you'd have to do it through a bit of trial an error. But logically, it is likely the case that the nine drawbars will be 9 consecutive CCs in the 102-113 range.

Reaction score
anotherscott
Thanks for the reply. I did receive the answer thru Kurzweil which is exactly as you said about the procedure.
I did download and viewed the yamaha data for the YC reface. I just need clarification on the CC numbers.
I now have a starting point to begin.
thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Reaction score
Additional. Yes it's true that I can immediately play the YC on the Kurzweil after the connection. But I want the control on the kurzweil.
:)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The information about the CC numbers for the YC and what each value does is given on page 17 of the Data List. For example, CC 102 controls the Footage 16' drawbar setting, and any value from 0 through 127 will be accepted, but all values within a given range will be interpreted the same-- namely, values 0-18 correspond to a slider setting of 0, values 19-36 correspond to a slider setting of 1, and so forth.

Reaction score
The information about the CC numbers for the YC and what each value does is given on page 17 of the Data List.
Good catch! I went straight to the implementation chart where you usually find the CC assignments, and didn't see the more thorough info provided two pages earlier. I was surprised at the dearth of info on page 19 because Yamaha is usually among the best at documenting this stuff... my faith has been restored. ;-)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I started at the opposite end of the section, page 15, because that's where the table of contents took me. It also had very little information about the CC messages. And when I saw page 16, I began to wonder if there was going to be any good information. But then I struck gold on page 17. :)

Reaction score
When I'm ready to start with the assignments, do I need to have the YC Reface connected and powered up?
Do I begin with choosing MIDI out on the Kurzweil?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You have to have them both connected, powered up, and configured as desired for sending/receiving (that is, with regard to the channels), before you start sending messages from one to the other.

Reaction score
Thanks for that confirmation.
I haven't started yet to perform this task I'm reading and Gathering more information

Reaction score
One last thought in case I missed it.
When I wiggle or move a controller is it the controller on the Kurzweil or on the YC reface.

Ask a Question